Got Slop? Make Your Own Fridge Coasters

Fridge Coasters are a very cool idea. They are disposable liners for your fridge shelves that soak up spills and save you the work of wiping up errant messes or congealed slop that you couldn’t see behind that giant bottle of lemon juice. Not that it’s ever happened to me…

However, a recent “hack” of these Fridge Coasters has started flying over the blogosphere: turning inexpensive plastic placemats into your own fridge liners. The liners can be easily removed, wiped down, and then replaced without having to awkwardly manage a fridge shelf that most likely doesn’t fit into the kitchen sink.

Like I’ve alluded to before, I am not exactly the best Fridge Maintenance Woman. There may have been a “situation” in our fridge.

Okay, now stop looking at that picture. It’s not good.

I purchased some placemats at Superstore for $2 a piece. It’s a great time to be buying plastic placemats, as they are often a part of outdoor collections. Also, this means that they are available in fantastic colours.

“Installing” the shelf liners is too simple. You can go the super-duper easy way and just layer the placemats one on top of the other. Or you can cut them to size with kitchen scissors.

I often get little spills and gloopy-gloops from condiments. I decided to chop up a placemat and use it to line the doors on the shelf.

I love how they turned out. I roughly eyeballed the dimensions, though a particular person could use a ruler/tape measure.

With the food replaced in the refrigerator, doesn’t it look so much better?

There. You can eat at my house again. It’s all better.

And if one of these bottles gets a bit wild and decides to have a food fight, then we’re covered. I won’t be scrubbing out corners with baking soda and vinegar while wiping sweat and regret off of my brow.

I highly recommend this very easy solution for crud and goo on fridge shelves. If you’re strolling down the aisles of the grocery/big box store and see some cheap plastic placemats, remember my colourful fridge! I used six placemats, but if you want to line your produce bins, you may want to get a few more.

*No eggs were hurt in the making of this post*

I share my stuff in these wonderful places.

Comments

1. Tara @ Surburble says

That IS strange. So far I’ve been really liking Disqus as a comment provider, but that’s very weird if you can’t be traced back to you blog.

Thank you for the comment. Yes, Kitchen Nightmares was definitely the “Before” picture. Minus a yelling and swearing Gordon. ;)

2. SuddenlyBeagles says

I was worried this post might be going in the Kitchen Nightmares
    direction, but I think Chef Gordon Ramsey would be very proud of your
    “after” fridge liners …

:) Linda

3. Linda Braden says

This comment shouldn’t have been posted as my son’s account — the disqus comment thing confuses me. Now I think it should be as me …

4. amy of while wearing heels says

Thank goodness no eggs were hurt in this post. That tilting egg carton made me wonder :) I love the apple place mats. I hope those bottles behave, your mats are too pretty to get dirty.

5. Tara @ Surburble says

I know. I probably should have bought more of them to use as actual placemats, shouldn’t I?
    Oh, hindsight…

6. Kimberly Ann says

I think you stole my fridge, because my eggs are leaning exactly the same at the moment!

I’ve had this on my to do list since I saw it floating around Pinterest a couple months ago. I’m just waiting to see the “right” placemats.

Great job!!

7. Tara @ Surburble says

Thanks! I’m thinking that eggs are the unexpected gymnasts of the fridge world. They always seem to be in the most precarious situations in the fridge. I’m actually pretty surprised that I haven’t had more casualties.

Let me know if you find the placemats and do the Great Fridge Cleanout. I’d love to see pics!

8. Guest says

So you are the Original Awesomeness to this Organizing-Idea-Gone-Viral? Well done! :)

And I zoomed over to your blog and took a look: we DO have the exact same placemats!! We must shop at the same place! ;)

9. mountainviewfarm says

I did this with my refrigerator and it has made such a difference. It is so much easier to wipe down a mat than to wrestle with the shelves and drawers.
    Thanks for sharing,

Suzanne

Pieced Pastimes

PS-Would love to have you link this up to Saturday Sparks

10. says

Hi Suzanne,

Oh, wrestling with shelves and drawers is one of the bigger reasons why I detested cleaning the fridge (with my before picture as proof of that. I’m glad you like your fridge liners too. I popped over to your blog and joined the linky. Thanks for the invite!

11. Audra Projects says

What a fabulous idea! Why haven’t I thought of it before? Putting some under the milk…always the messiest spot in our fridge.