A Painted Buffet

Painted Dining Room Buffet in Fusion Inglenook-1-2
When we first moved into our house, I had a vision for our dining room. It had a little nook – a punch-out, some might call it – that was begging for a piece of furniture. As our last house only had an eat-in kitchen, and no room for a hutch or a buffet, this was the first opportunity I had to scout out a piece for a dining room.

I was a diligent little Craigslister. I scoured the ads every day, searching for the perfect piece to take on.

And then, I found it:

Painted Dining Room Buffet in Fusion Inglenook-1-3
It lived about an hour away, and had only been advertised for sale for about two hours.

It also came with a china cabinet and a table and chairs.

I tried to negotiate with the seller. Would she let me take the buffet and cabinet, and leave the table and chairs? And whether she was shrewd businesswoman – or just had a great set of furniture – she said, no, they stay together, and there are people who are willing to pick it up right away so hurry up and make up your mind, girl.

So I caved. And Mr. Suburble – sweet man that he is – drove an hour and loaded up a borrowed flat deck full of furniture: half of it we didn’t need.

Our garage was chaos, and Mr. Suburble, despite his best efforts, was doing a not-very-good-job of being patient with me. Finally, we sold off the table and chairs, and I had the room to start working.

I’ve been working with Fusion paint – an amazing Canadian company run by the fabulous Jennylyn Pringle (I met her during a junking trip a ways back, if you remember) – and the colour I chose couldn’t have been more perfect.

This is Inglenook

Painted Dining Room Buffet in Fusion Inglenook-1-4
It’s the perfect grey-green colour, and it completely brightened up this piece.

Painted Dining Room Buffet in Fusion Inglenook-2-2
I kept the original hardware. I think that the dark brass finish is a lovely compliment to the colour. The detailing of the pulls is perfect when partnered with the simplicity of the piece.

Painted Dining Room Buffet in Fusion Inglenook-2
I lightly sanded the piece with my palm sander, and then applied two coats of Inglenook to the buffet. Even though Fusion doesn’t need a topcoat, I opted to go with the beeswax finish – just because my kids are going to be bopping around this piece.

And until a child has painted a piece of furniture herself, she doesn’t understand the labour of love behind it.

Painted Dining Room Buffet in Fusion Inglenook-1-2
It was sheer coincidence that on the day that I finished this piece, I wandered into a local decor store that – sadly – is closing its doors next month. I picked up the picture frame, Restoration Hardware-esque mirror, and the metal ball/orb-thing-a-ma-jig to style the top of the buffet.

Painted Dining Room Buffet in Fusion Inglenook-8
This tiered tray is a thrift store find – it’s actually very tarnished brass. I can’t bring myself to clean it – I love the patina of it.

Painted Dining Room Buffet in Fusion Inglenook-7
This little feather artwork is a watercolour done by Lucy of Craftberry Bush. She gave this to me when we met at Haven last summer. I am very much in awe of Lucy’s talent – from painting to styling to photography – and hope to add some of her artwork to our walls this year.

But until then, this sweet little feather reminds me not only of wonderful people like her – but of some of the incredible opportunities that this dear ol’ blog has given to me.

Painted Dining Room Buffet in Fusion Inglenook-5
This piece has jump started that itch to “paint all the things!”

… and garage sale season is starting…

Poor Mr. Suburble.

1. April 27, 2015
    Jo-Anna

This looks beautiful Tara! What a great piece in a great colour – you have great vision!
    Jo-Anna recently posted…Strawberry, Rhubarb and Apple GaletteMy Profile

• April 27, 2015

Thank you, Jo-Anna! I feel like this piece had such great bones that so many colours would do it justice.

Now onto the china cabinet. Gah! πŸ™‚

2. April 27, 2015
    Dannyelle @ www.lifeisaparty.ca

Wow, it looks amazing. Great job, and great colour choice too. Love it.
    Dannyelle @ http://www.lifeisaparty.ca recently posted…Teddy Bear Tea Party Part II β€œThe Food and Decorations”My Profile

• April 27, 2015

Thanks so much, Dannyelle! I’m really happy with the colour, too. I want to paint our side tables in our bedroom with it now! πŸ™‚

3. April 27, 2015
    Julia

Love, love, love this! I’ll have to try fuzion paint next time. I’m not in love with the finish of the chalk paint I bought.

• April 27, 2015

Julia – you should definitely give it a go! It’s really easy to work with. πŸ™‚

4. April 27, 2015
    Shari

Love it, as always! And I also love that you have tulips on it, I always think of you when I see tulips… it has been way too long, if you are up for it we should try to catch up this week…. I am off Wednesday and around all weekend! Miss you lady!

• April 27, 2015

Shari – that’s such a nice thing to say. πŸ™‚ Tulips are my weakness. If only they stuck around for a few more months of the year…

Yes, I’m home Wednesday. Let’s catch up!

5. April 27, 2015
    Jamie

STOP! OMG this is drop dead gorgeous. I love that Inglenook paint colour too!! I remember you talking about needing the perfect furniture piece for that spot and THAT is definitely it. When you sell it, I’m buying πŸ˜‰
    Hugs, Jamie
    PS: Sharing on my FB page πŸ˜‰

• April 27, 2015

Thank you so much for the share, friend!

And you’re so right – I did agonize over finding a piece for that nook. I can’t believe I found it among an entire dining room suite! (Bloggers be crazy, yo.)

6. April 28, 2015
    beth

Love the mirror, is it from Birch Lane??

7. April 28, 2015
    Krista @ the happy housie

Absolutely gorgeous! I LOVE it – I wish I had the space for a beauty of a buffet like that. What did you do with the rest of the set??

• May 4, 2015

We sold the table and chairs, but the china cabinet is patiently waiting in the garage. He should make his grand entrance next week sometime? πŸ˜‰

8. May 31, 2015
    Trish

This piece is gorgeous. I see why you caved. You did a fabulous job painting it.

9. June 1, 2015
    Johlene@FlavoursandFrosting

You did such an amazing job on this! I love it and cant believe itΒ΄s the same piece of furniture in the before photo! I cant wait to get my hand on a piece of furniture and do something like this πŸ™‚
    Johlene@FlavoursandFrosting recently posted…Sangria Smoothie RecipeMy Profile

10. June 1, 2015
    Brooke Riley~Re-fabbed

What a gorgeous piece! You did a fantastic job. I love the color! I also like that you kept the original hardware. Really keeps the charm.
    Brooke Riley~Re-fabbed recently posted…Our Re-fabbed Home~Living RoomMy Profile

11. June 2, 2015
    Gilly @ Colour Saturated Life

Love it! Looked so sad before but you have really updated it now?
    Gilly @ Colour Saturated Life recently posted…{Furniture Makeover} New York DresserMy Profile

12. June 3, 2015
    Karen

Tara, this is just gorgeous! It’s such a great piece, I love the color and the styling is perfection!
    How our husbands suffer…
    Thanks so much for sharing at Something to Talk About!
    Pinning!
    Karen

13. June 4, 2015
    Shannon [Our Home Notebook]

It’s beautiful! And so perfect in that space.

I’ve been known to buy a whole set of furniture off Kijiji too just so I could get the one piece I really wanted πŸ™‚

14. June 4, 2015
    Nici

Love this beautiful buffet! You did a wonderful job styling it too. I love Lucy’s artwork also… that feather print is perfect. I’d be thrilled if you shared this at my Creative Ways lInk Party that’s live right now. Hope to see you there!
    Blessings,
    Nici
    Nici recently posted…Creative Ways Link Party #56 and FeaturesMy Profile

15. June 4, 2015
    Liz Joiner

Doesn’t even look like the same buffet!

liz @ sundays with sophie

16. June 5, 2015
    Brandi Clevinger

The makeover looks incredible!! It’s encouraging to see you can make something beautiful without the costs!

Thanks for sharing at #SmallVictoriesSundayLinkup ! I pinned your post to the group board Small Victories Sunday.
    Brandi Clevinger recently posted…Fibro Friday 31My Profile

17. June 6, 2015
    Debi @ Surroundings by Debi

Absolutely beautiful – you did an amazing job! Thank you for partying with us at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop!

18. June 6, 2015
    Amanda @ Dwelling in Happiness

This turned out absolutely gorgeous! I love the color, and that piece has so much character! I’m featuring it tomorrow night at Motivational Monday. πŸ™‚

19. June 7, 2015
    Katherines Corner

thank you for sharing this beautiful transformation at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. watch for your feature on Monday xo
    Katherines Corner recently posted…Step Into Summer GiveawayMy Profile

20. June 7, 2015
    Tammy

Beautiful…the color is great…Thank you for Sharing at Share it One More Time…Tammy

21. June 8, 2015
    Kathryn Griffin @TheDedicatedHouse

Tara, this is an amazing piece! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features today at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week’s party. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/06/make-it-pretty-monday-week-138.html Hope to see you again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse
    Kathryn Griffin @TheDedicatedHouse recently posted…Make it Pretty Monday – Week 138My Profile

22. June 8, 2015
    Kristen from The Road to Domestication

GORGEOUS! I have one I’m gearing up to paint navy blue! Am I crazy or am I crazy?! Thanks so much for taking the time to link up with us over at the #HomeMattersParty – we hope to see you again this Friday!
    Kristen from The Road to Domestication recently posted…5 Dangerous Bathroom GermsMy Profile

23. June 8, 2015
    Lou Lou Girls

I absolutely love this! Thanks for sharing it with us. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you tomorrow night at 7 pm. We can’t wait to party with you! Lou Lou Girls
    Lou Lou Girls recently posted…Baseball CenterpiecesMy Profile

24. June 9, 2015
    Debi @ Surroundings by Debi

Love love love this buffet! I hope you can stop by and check out my Tuesday Treasures where I have featured you from the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop!
    Debi @ Surroundings by Debi recently posted…Tuesday Treasures No 8My Profile

25. June 10, 2015
    Theresa @DearCreatives

Love how your buffet turned out! I used to have a small buffet and miss having one. Now I’ll be on the hunt. Thanks for sharing it at the party. Pinned & shared.

26. June 11, 2015
    Cathy

So pretty – love the transformation and your mirror above is perfect. Thank you so much for sharing at Share It One MOre Time. Cathy

27. June 13, 2015
    Suzan

OMG – what an amazing transformation – it’s just stunning !
    And the perfect piece for your ” nook ”
    Just gorgoeus !
    Suzan recently posted…A Friday Chat ( about this & that )My Profile

• June 18, 2015

Thank you so much, Suzy! You’re so sweet!

28. June 13, 2015
    Tammy

Thank you for sharing at Share it One More Time you are one of the features this week! Xoxo Tammy
    Tammy recently posted…Share it One More Time Party and FeaturesMy Profile

• June 18, 2015

Thank you, Tammy! I’m honoured!

29. June 13, 2015
    Katie @ Little House of Four

What a gorgeous makeover! The color is beautiful and looks great against all the dark accent pieces. I also love that you used the original hardware. Great job!
    Katie @ Little House of Four recently posted…{Friday Favorites} Vintage Locker GoodnessMy Profile

• June 18, 2015

The original hardware was fantastic. I really lucked out with that. Thank you so much for your compliments – I think it might be my favourite piece of furniture in the house. πŸ™‚

30. June 13, 2015
    Kathryn Griffin @TheDedicatedHouse

Hi Tara! The Weekly Feature Series is live on the blog where you are being showcased. Pop on over and check it out when you get a moment. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/06/weekly-feature-series.html Have a lovely weekend! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse
    Kathryn Griffin @TheDedicatedHouse recently posted…Weekly Feature SeriesMy Profile

• June 18, 2015

Thank you so much for the feature, Kathryn! I appreciate it! πŸ™‚