Our Christmas Tour 2016: Our Ever-Changing Living Room

cold-spell-christmas-theme-11

This year, I decorated my living room twice.

Yes, this might seem a bit strange for the typical, regular non-blogging family. But for a nutcase like me, it’s something that Mr. Suburble just shakes his head at and watches from the family room.

And of course, each time I decorate, I’m gleefully hauling out boxes and oohing over glass ornaments. I’m dancing to Christmas music and unwrapping ceramic Christmas trees. I’m draping decor mesh over the tree and fluffing branches. I’m sure that it’s probably quite the sight to see.

This year, our living room lived two “seasons” of Christmas. The first was a frosty, monochromatic look.

cold-spell-christmas-theme-9

I worked with Lowe’s this holiday season, and during that time, I dragged out my fancy-pants little flocked tree (oh, how I love thee) and kept the look fairly white and bright.

cold-spell-christmas-theme-6

This blanket was on sale at Indigo. I’m pretty sure that’s the story with nearly all of the throw blankets in my house.

cold-spell-christmas-theme-8

I cannot help myself with floral picks in Christmas trees. Next year, it’s going to be feathers or grasses or something even more grandiose than the icy branches that I put into this year’s tree. More is more, right?

cold-spell-christmas-theme-1

I loved the delicate crystals and white pearls that this tree offered. It was so soft and quiet… kind of like that eerie calm after a snowfall.

cold-spell-christmas-theme-5

There was so much of it that I loved.

But then… tradition started knocking on my door.

I can’t lie: I am a traditional girl at heart. There is something about red and green and fresh cedar boughs that makes my heart all a-flutter. I loved the beauty of the icy-white Christmas, but it wasn’t the room that my family would spread Christmas wrap and ribbon all over. It wasn’t where I’d sit with a rum and eggnog and start penning my Christmas cards.

christmas-tour-2016-17

I missed my poinsettias.

For years and years, I’ve had these faux poinsettias that I bought on a whim during a day of wandering in Michaels. I’m pretty sure that this is before I even had the girls. It was back in those…. Oh, let’s just kill an hour – a WHOLE HOUR! – wandering through the floral section days. I don’t even know what that kind of time feels like anymore.

As each Christmas has gone by, I’ve collected more and more of these rich, red flowers – to add to the tree, the mantel, even a wreath or two… and it’s become my tradition.

christmas-tour-2016-1

There’s something about my red and gold and stuffed-to-the-brim tree that makes me feel like all is right in the world. Where handmade meets glitter meets burlap meets gold…  and I think that I have enough themed ornaments with presence to mute some of the “noise” that is tucked among the branches. If you squint your eyes, it looks like every ornament was put there with purpose.

Except for those hangy-downy ones at the bottom. Lucy put those there all willy-nilly.

christmas-tour-2016-1-2

Another Indigo blanket. I have a problem.

christmas-tour-2016-9

My mantel-scape is very much the same as it was in my “White Christmas” look, but just embellished with some red and berries.

And decor mesh. You can’t ever have too much decor mesh, I say!

diy-flocked-branches-in-a-toolbox-2

The vintage tool box has found its way to various corners of the house.

diy-flocked-branches-in-a-toolbox-1

I kind of like it on the coffee table, though it’s been known to spend some time on the dining room table as an oversized centerpiece as well.

christmas-tour-2016-8

These little vintage mason jars hold bottle brush trees and faux snow. Above them hangs the rose leaf wreath that Lucy and I made one afternoon.

And my little brass deer. She’s on the dresser vignette for nearly every season. She was my grandmother’s, and something about her makes me smile. At a vintage market, I saw that there was a little fawn that used to come with this set, but I haven’t found one on its own…. yet.

christmas-tour-2016-4

I thank you for stopping by and taking a gander in our living room(s). If you’re wondering, I’ve scooted the white tree into our family room, but I haven’t quite figured out how to get the same monochromatic loveliness in that space that was in its previous home. I think I still have some fussing about to do.

I’d love to know which look you prefer. Was it the White Christmas? Or the Traditional Poinsettia?

You can’t offend me – I love them both!

After you let me know which look you liked best, I’d love for you to take a walk around some of the homes of my fellow Canadian bloggers. The fabulous Christina of The DIY Mommy orchestrated this event, and I’m so happy that she asked me to participate!

We have an amazing lineup of Christmas tours to take in, and there’s ample inspiration to be had. Get lost in these fabulous spaces!

2016-canadian-bloggers-christmas-home-tour

Craftberry Bush
The Happy Housie
Kimpowerstyle
Elliven Studio

1. December 6, 2016
    Laurie @ Vin’yet Etc.

Oh Tara, this whole post just made me feel so happy and completely “normal”! I too have some cozy throw and Christmas issues! haha, I just love your descriptive writing style, the way you intro-ed with the monochromatic tree (beautiful Btw) and then bam, the real deal, the real you Christmas tree! While I do love the white calming tree, the real deal is my pick cause it’s just so you, charming & so full of energy! I must tell you I am completely jealous of those huge white bottle brush trees! Want! Merry Christmas friend! xo
    Laurie @ Vin’yet Etc. recently posted…DIY chalkboard paper – Christmas artMy Profile

• December 6, 2016

Laurie, you are so wonderful! Im glad that I have a kindred spirit in you. The traditional Christmas will always speak to my heart. And thank you so much for your kind words! You put a smile on my face this morning. 🙂

2. December 6, 2016
    Christine

So funny how different yet equally beautiful they both look! I can’t say which I prefer cause I think they are both fab! Well done!

• December 6, 2016

Christine, you’re the sweetest. I love that answer. 🙂

3. December 6, 2016
    Jo-Anna Rooney

I love both of your holiday living spaces so much! the icy colours of your first are so gorgeous, and I adore the red in your newly decorated space..I’m a traditional christmas colour gal at heart too!

P.s. I have the same indigo blanket problem 😉

J

• December 6, 2016

Who can help themselves when the cashier offers that $35 cozy blanket?!?!? It’s too appealing!

Thank you so much for your kind words, Jo! I think that many of us have traditional hearts when it comes to Christmas…

4. December 6, 2016
    DANNYELLE

HA, HA, ONLY A BLOGGER DECORATES TWICE. I WAS JUST RE-DECORATING SOMETHING FOR THE THIRD TIME TODAY, SO I FEEL YOUR PAIN. I LOVE THE LITTLE DEER VIGNETTE, AND THAT IT WAS YOUR GRANDMAS. I THINK I’LL BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR ONE FOR MYSELF AT THE ANTIQUE MARKET. BEAUTIFUL TOUR X 2.

• December 6, 2016

Hahahaha, Dannyelle, you’re so right. There should be a post titled, “Things Only A Blogger Would Do”. And then the New Years’vignette I have in the other room would be on that list. *eyeroll at myself*

The deer is one of my most cherished knick-knacks. I hope you find one! Brass is on its way back!

5. December 6, 2016
    Morag

I’m normally a Christmas traditionalist, and your poinsettia look is beautiful. There is just something about the White Christmas look you created that I absolutely love. It’s crisp and fresh like a new dusting of snow, and the coffee pot and candlesticks make me think cozy comfort. It’s stunning.

• December 6, 2016

Morag, thank you! What a lovely compliment! The White Christmas was a very calm space to be in… it was really lovely when the lights were low and just the tiny white twinkle lights were on. If only I could figure out how to recreate the look in my family room…. I’m working on it!

6. December 6, 2016
    Becki

Wow! Both looks are beautiful! I like the white, that first shot my jaw dropped! LOVED the tree! But the red and green is so cozy!

• December 6, 2016

Awww… Becki. Thank you so much! That tree was a lot of fun to decorate… It makes me want to get another flocked beauty. #treeaddict

7. December 7, 2016
    Thalita

How did you create two equally stunning but completely different looks? And they both look so great in your space, too. The red pointsettas are just such a beautiful touch. You do no wrong, my friend.

8. December 7, 2016
    Heather

I can’t believe you decorated twice! While the mono-chromatic look was gorgeous, I’m a traditional gal through and through. Love that one.

9. December 8, 2016
    Joann

You’re so right – the first look is like the calm after a snowfall, so peaceful and pretty. Both looks are gorgeous. I tend to gravitate towards a bit of colour myself. I love your vintage tool box (I think my dad has a bunch of those) and the brass deer. Enjoy the holidays in your lovely home!

10. December 8, 2016
    Jen @ Fresh Crush

You did such an amazing job… twice! I can’t pick just one look. I will live vicariously through you because I kinda want to do the same thing! Great job. Merry Christmas!

11. December 8, 2016
    Christina @ The DIY Mommy

You’re incredible, Tara! I love both of these looks so much, but I tend to go for the cooler tones at Christmas so I slightly favour the frosty theme. 🙂 Both trees are gorgeous too!

12. December 8, 2016
    Kim @KimPowerStyle

I gravitate towards white myself but there is something so festive about red this time of year! I really have to say they both look great. Wonderful tour 🙂

13. December 9, 2016
    Shauna

Hmm… I’m with so many of the others- they’re both fab! I switch from colour to monochromatic year to year. I have to say I’ll probably be pulling out the red again next year. I’m impressed you had the energy to do two. One is enough for me 😉 Happy Holidays!
    Shauna recently posted…Canadian White Christmas Home TourMy Profile

14. December 9, 2016
    Krista

Hmmm. touch choice. I love them both. The wintery look is so pretty; but I love the crisp red as well. Gorgeous tour, friend!! Happy holiday to you and yours!
    Krista recently posted…Classic Christmas Dining Room & Kitchen TourMy Profile

15. December 10, 2016
    Thea

I love both! I think the reason is because you truly did such a fabulous job with both decorating styles. Every special detail adds to the total look! You design talent really shines through!

16. December 10, 2016
    Jenn

I love it all! I have a thing for all of those cozy throws at Indigo too! I’m totally kicking myself that I didn’t pick up one of those vintage wooden tool boxes when I was at the Christmas market. I guess I know what I’ll be looking for next year! Merry Christmas to you and your family. xo

17. December 11, 2016
    Jamie

Tara! You silly girl. Both look gorgeous but I know what you mean about red. It’s tradition and I think it looks stunning in your living room. So cozy and Christmas. Your home is beautiful! I can’t wait to see it, hint hint 😉
    Hugs, Jamie