Selling Your House: The Showing Check-list

The Show Ready Home Checklist img - Suburble

Yesterday, I talked about getting your house ready for the real estate market. It involves a lot of boxes, cleaner, and “editing” of things. Also, probably a bit of sweat.

Trouble is, the sweat ain’t over yet, honey.

Unless you’re one of the lucky ones who sells his or her house in the first or second visit, you’re probably going to have multiple showings to contend with. They can be scheduled at nearly any time of day, and can sometimes be thrown up on you in the last minute.

And it’s good advice that if your agent calls with an appointment for a showing, you should take it. It’s a gamble to say no. What if that was the couple that was going to buy our house? Without any conditions? And with CASH!?!

Don’t let the Cash Couple drive past your house. Instead, have a copy of this handy-dandy “Show-Ready Home” checklist nearby, and start busting your butt. You have a house to clean.

show ready home list

Click on the above image for a free printable of the checklist. Yes, it’s yours! Lucky duck.

I had a realtor tell me that there is always the possibility that someone will be viewing a house in your area, and they might see your sign and want to add you to the tour. You could have a family of 6 touring your house with only 10 minutes of warning.

So I developed a “Panic!” checklist for that. It involves the cunning use of laundry baskets. Oh, I love laundry baskets.

Show Ready Home Checklist - Suburble

And the 10-minute list is already getting some use in our house.

The one-hour list is much more comprehensive, but I find it really helpful when prepping the house. It ensures that when I leave, I won’t have that “Did I turn the stove off?” conversation in my head.

Yes, the toilet seats are closed.

Yes, I put out the garbage.

Yes, I have the laundry basket full of odds-and-ends-and-probably-some-laundry in the back of my car.

The house is ready to be fabulous. Work it, house. Show ’em what you got!

Print it out. Print out a couple. Or better yet, print one out and put it in a sheet protector. Use a dry-erase marker to check off your list and then wipe it off for the next showing.

Hopefully, with a house this clean, tidy, and devoid of bedtime booze, you won’t need to use the checklist for much longer!

Follow along on the Suburble Real Estate Adventure. It’s crazy! It has laundry baskets!
How can you not subscribe?!?

Enter your email address:Delivered by FeedBurner

1. October 10, 2013
    laura@imnotatrophywife.com

Great list! I’m a licensed real estate agent and you only get one shot at showings (buyers rarely reschedule if house can’t be shown). New hand towels are huge! And, I always tell clients to clear any and all toiletries from bathroom counter and showers (nobody wants to think about your morning routine)! Great list! laura
    laura@imnotatrophywife.com recently posted…a little bit of BH& G inspiration …wall maps and shutters!My Profile

• October 10, 2013

That’s great advice, Laura. Definitely clearing out all sorts of toiletries and make-up will make a huge difference! I don’t want to know what kind of moisturizer the seller uses! 🙂

2. October 10, 2013
    Kelly @ A Swell Place to Dwell

Close the toilet seats…such a good one! I couldn’t believe how many pictures on MLS had the toilet seats up!
    Kelly @ A Swell Place to Dwell recently posted…{13 Things}My Profile

• October 10, 2013

Oh, for some reason, toilet seats never seem weird when they’re up – unless you’re touring a house.

3. October 10, 2013
    Amy of while wearing heels

Your making me want to sell my house 🙂
    Amy of while wearing heels recently posted…Whoooo Made a New Pillow?My Profile

• October 10, 2013

Nah.. you love your house! But if you do ever sell it, you’ll have a friend to vent to. It’s a crazy process.

4. October 11, 2013
    Evelyn@Self Storage

This checklist is fabulous. I am also shifting to my new home, so may be I will sell my home. Thus for selling my old home, I will keep all these tips in mind. Thanks Tara!!!

• October 13, 2013

Thank you so much, Evelyn! I wish you luck with whatever decision you make – selling your house quickly becomes all-consuming!

5. October 11, 2013

Argh the 10 minute thing is a killer great heck list!
    Mel recently posted…Turn Your Door Into A PlannerMy Profile

• October 13, 2013

Oh, thanks so much, Mel. We’ve had a few “Oh no… WHEN are they going to be here!?!?” moments. It’s helpful to have a list to keep your wits about you!

6. October 11, 2013
    Thea

This is an absolutely brilliant checklist. I really like the way you organized it by completing tasks that are doable in chunks of item available. Great for planning! ~Thea
    Thea recently posted…How To Make A Big Bow Photo TutorialMy Profile

• October 13, 2013

Thank you so much, Thea! I really made it mostly for myself. I find that lists really help in those moments of panic! 😉

7. October 11, 2013

Awesome tips! The first one made me smile! Love the sheet protector idea!
    Danni@SiloHillFarm recently posted…YOU ARE LOVED….192My Profile

• October 13, 2013

Yes, once you’ve gotten “Panic” out of the way, you’re ready to tackle the rest! 🙂

8. October 11, 2013
    Sharon

Great post! I love your idea to put the list in a sheet protector.
    Sharon recently posted…choosing the right paint color for furnitureMy Profile

• October 13, 2013

Thanks, Sharon! I figure that it makes it easier than printing a new list every time. Waste not, want not… and all that good stuff! 😉

Plus, It’s much harder to accidentally chuck out a paper in a sheet protector! It just screams, “I’m important!”

9. October 12, 2013
    Bronwyn MayB

Being that I NEVER plan to sell my house ever again (I will just flee in the middle of the night like a bandit) I hope never to need this list. However, it is an awesome list, to be sure.
    Bronwyn MayB recently posted…What I’ve been making this weekMy Profile

• October 13, 2013

That must be a lovely feeling, Bronwyn, to know that your house is THE house. You don’t ever want to move.

I long for that feeling. I’m on the quest for our “forever home” – however long that takes.

10. January 6, 2015
    Coldwell Banker

Good check list! Also remember to keep your windows clean and if you have the time clean up your front yard and/or porch considering that is the first thing potential buyers will see.

• January 7, 2015

Totally agree! Curb appeal is huge! We drove up to a few houses where we were wrinkling our noses before even getting out of the car.

11. August 29, 2016
    Andrea

We just accepted an offer for our house. I did most of the checklists each morning to be able to be ready very quickly. Having the house nice and tidy makes a difference. We’ve been looking at houses and seeing a lot of clutter has been a huge turn off. We bought the pretty linens in all the bathrooms and in the kitchen. We coordinated colors in each room. It pays off. We received the offer after only ten days. One thing I will add as a buyer that influenced my home shopping. Get a professional to take the pictures. That’s what our realtor did. They were attractively done. He had an eye for bringing out the best features of our home. I’ve seen so many poorly done pictures over the past year.

• August 30, 2016

That is so exciting, Andrea! Congratulations on the offer. Isn’t that a great feeling! And yes, you’re so right about having professional photos. It is such a game changer to the Realtor.ca/.com listing.