The Playhouse Project Part Deux: Outdoor Accessories

We are very happy to be working with Home Depot Canada on this project. This mother-daughter(s) design team has been having a hoot working on their playhouse.

Playhouse Outdoor Accessories-5
I will be the first to tell you that I am not a fashionista.

As I walk through the house with paint spattered Costco leggings and whatever t-shirt I found in the drawer, Lila will say to me, “You’re not going to the store in THAT, right?”

This child would wear a dress every single day of her life if I’d let her.

But despite all of that, I do know the importance of accessories. Accessories are the sprinkles on the cupcake. They’re the glitter on the unicorn.

They’re important. And the playhouse was not going to go without its glitter and sprinkles.

We are not quite finished with our playhouse project, but I wanted to share some of the different bits and bobs that we’ve used to gussy it up so afr. The details make all the difference.

Playhouse Outdoor Accessories-4
I shared a photo of the playhouse-in-progress on Facebook, and some readers noticed the mailbox.

The mailbox was a HUGE hit with the girls, and it was an easy and inexpensive addition to the project. We took a simple plastic rural mailbox and mounted it atop a 4X4 post. I gave the post a quick spray with the Behr White solid stain, and it was done!

The girls have created letters and parcels to leave in the mailbox for each other, and have also hidden little random backyard things – rocks, leaves, this weird shell that we play “hot and cold” with, you know the drill – in there. I figure that once the playhouse is no longer the place-to-be in the backyard, this mailbox will be a perfect place to store garden gloves, hose nozzles, or twine.

Playhouse Outdoor Accessories-2
Perched on the playhouse porch – and beneath a window – are these window boxes with coco liners. My girlfriend exclaimed that these were exactly the flower boxes that she wanted for her own house – and was there not some irony that the children had these before she did?

I love the wrought iron combined with the rough texture of the coco liner. The boxes look just a teensy bit rustic (which is a nice compliment to the beachy-cottage thing that the girls and I were aiming for) and are fairly lightweight.
 Playhouse Outdoor Accessories-1-2

This one hangs over the railing (perfect for easy removal during the fall months) – and the window box just hooks onto screws on the side of the playhouse. It was an simple project that Mr. Suburble and I finished in no time flat.

Playhouse Outdoor Accessories-3
But the piece de resistance – the playhouse accessory that I just cannot get enough of – is this outdoor pendant. It has completely finished the look of the playhouse.

Playhouse Outdoor Accessories-1-3
The black finish on the light fixture ties in with the flower boxes and the mailbox. I feel like it draws the eye up, and makes you take in the playhouse as a whole.

And it’s a nice looking light. You can’t deny that.

But the best part about this light is that it’s SOLAR! There is a tiny panel that we’ve installed at the back of the playhouse, and each night, the playhouse porch is illuminated.

I want three more for my patio.

Playhouse Outdoor Accessories-5
This place is shaping up! The girls have been spending many hours ducking in and out of the doors and exclaiming, “Hmm… do you think the mailman might have come into the backyard?”

But there are still more plans for this little play space. I can’t wait to show you inside! And, there are still some beachy touches that the girls and I have planned.

This playhouse cannot suddenly transform into a pirate ship without the proper tools. We’ve still got work to do!

See how far we’ve come:

Playhouse Craned Over The House-2

The Old Life of the Playhouse, and How We Got It In Our Backyard

Playhouse Mood Boards
The Design

The Playhouse Project - The Porch and Painting-7

Paint and Balusters

The Playhouse Project - Using the paint sprayer t o save time -6

Saving Time On Painting the Playhouse

1. July 3, 2015
    Virginia

Seriously the cutest little playhouse!! I really should add a mailbox to ours, the kids wouLD LOVE THAT!

• July 6, 2015

The mailbox has been a HUGE hit! Definitely consider adding one to your playhouse, Virginia!

2. July 3, 2015
    Bethany

It’s looking great! I can’t wait to see what you do with the inside! 🙂
    Bethany recently posted…60 Awesome Furniture MakeoversMy Profile

• July 6, 2015

Thanks so much, Bethany! It’s been a really fun project!

3. July 13, 2015
    Kristina & Millie

I am so super jealous! I want one of these for me to play in, haha. Thanks for linking up to Snickerdoodle Sunday!

• July 14, 2015

Thank you so much, Kristina and Millie! I kind of want a grown-up version for myself, too!

• July 17, 2015
        Kristina & Millie

actually they had a news special on here the other day showing these tiny sheds (or not so tiny) as the mom getaway 🙂 Also congrats! We are featuring your post this Saturday at Snickerdoodle Sunday. Hope you get to stop by for your cookie!
        Kristina & Millie recently posted…July Craft Challenge – Something From Nature Week 3My Profile

4. July 14, 2015
    Gail Akeman

Thank you for joining the Small victories Sunday linkup. Please join again. Pinned to the group board.

5. July 14, 2015
    Carole West @ Garden Up Green

I had a playhouse when I was a little girl. It was the coolest. The tall ceilings are perfect with room to grow.

• July 14, 2015

I love the tall ceilings too! Maybe the girls and I will come up with some sort of cool mobile project to hang from the ceiling?

• July 15, 2015
        Carole West @ Garden Up Green

That’s a great idea and sounds like another neat blog post.
        Carole West @ Garden Up Green recently posted…A Walk in the GardenMy Profile

6. July 14, 2015
    Beverly

The playhouse is adorable! What a treat to have something like this for play time. The mailbox and the light are just perfect touches. Thanks for sharing on Snickerdoodle Sunday. I’m looking forward to seeing more!
    Beverly recently posted…Chalk Painted Side TablesMy Profile

• July 14, 2015

Thank you, Beverly! I love both of those accessories too! I think this is going to be a project that we won’t ever really be finished – we’ll just keep tweaking it!

7. July 16, 2015
    Carrie This Home

Oh my goodness–this is one of the cutest playhouses I’ve ever seen! You did an outstanding job choosing the right accessories that really make it pop!
    Thanks so much for sharing this at the Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop–I’ll be featuring this post at our next party!

8. July 17, 2015
    Kathi Riemer

ADORABLE!! My granddaughters would love this little house.

9. July 18, 2015
    Gentle Joy

What a beautiful and fun playhouse. 🙂
    Gentle Joy recently posted…Quick Healing With PlantainMy Profile

10. July 19, 2015
    Julie

Awh, I want me a playhouse in my back garden! Forget the kids, I want to sit on that porch with a cup of tea and a good book! It’s just lovely.
    Julie recently posted…Cluster Drop NecklaceMy Profile

11. July 19, 2015
    Veronika | Tickled Pink Confetti

Awwww…. I’m a sucker for pretty play house. I have one at home myself and we’ve been telling ourselves to do it up all the time, but haven’t got the chance. Your play house is an inspiration. Thanks for sharing!
    Veronika | Tickled Pink Confetti recently posted…5 Super Awesome Things about Cruising Motherhood with Your SisterMy Profile

12. July 20, 2015
    Melissa Vera

I am super jealous. I want a playhouse like this to work in. Thanks for linking up on the #HomeMattersParty this week. Hope you will come back and link up again next week.
    Melissa Vera recently posted…Become A Designer with CricutMy Profile

13. July 20, 2015
    Lou Lou Girls

I’m loving this! Pinned and tweeted! I always love your creations, thanks for sharing this with us at our party! I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm, we love seeing what you have been working on! Lou Lou Girls

14. July 22, 2015
    Jennifer Dawn

This is dreamy! What an amazing project! I’m featuring it at our weekly link party! http://www.thelifeofjenniferdawn.com/2015/07/a-little-bird-told-me-link-party-149.html
    Jennifer Dawn recently posted…A Little Bird Told Me Link Party #149My Profile