Doe: a deer, a female deer…

This weekend was full of “Things to Do” in our house. The sun was shining, the girls were running around inside-and-outside-and-back-again — leaving a wake of chaos and mess behind them — and I was faced with a brand new blogging platform to navigate. My humble little blog has graduated from Blogger to WordPress (huge thanks to Kristi Linauer of Linauer Designs for being the brains behind the move!) – and I feel just the teensiest bit overwhelmed. I know that Suburble.com doesn’ t look THAT different so far… but the framework behind it has changed quite a bit, and so I’ve had a few stumbles. And if the blog goes a bit wonky over the next little while, you’ll know it’s probably just a product of me “learning”.

Despite this busy weekend, I managed to get a few crafty things completed. The sunshine always helps with painting projects, as everything dries much faster. I like instant gratification, so I headed outside with some spray paint.

Spring 2013 052 copy

I finally gave my regal buck a little friend to flirt with. The unofficial vote among readers (and FBers) was overwhelmingly in favour for a doe to grace the front of my other flower pot. She’s so much daintier and has smoother lines than the buck. And yet, she was a bigger pain in the butt to stencil (I can’t figure out why, but she didn’t want to cooperate).

Spring 2013 060 copy

I thought that a jade plant (because I love succulents and jade is quickly becoming my favourite) would be the right amount of fanciness for Miss Deer. They’re both very feminine.

We’ve been promised a week of sunshine and jacket-free temperatures — woot! Let’s shake off this Seasonal Affectiveness Disorder that we’ve all been dealing with —  and so this is a perfect time for the Suburble family to go on a little trip. We’re going camping!

And with camping season upon us, I’ve decided to start a new series on the blog. It’s called:

Let's Go Camping - Suburble

“Let’s go camping!” is going to be a series of blog posts where I tackle things like

a) Converting your camping trailer back to a liveable space after spending the winter as your extra shed
b) Organizing cupboards that are within a giant box on wheels (where contents can fly around and create all sorts of calamity)
c) Camping games – and how to make them
d) Camping food – it doesn’t always have to be hot dogs
e) Glamping: Is that a thing?

and finally e) how to not be a hot mess the entire time you’re camping. That one will be my toughest challenge, and I don’t know if I will actually conquer that one. My children have not always slept very well while camping, and so I’ve had my fair share of walking strollers around campgrounds at 6 am – not to mention attempting to sneak out of the trailer without waking up sleeping children (hint: channel your inner James Bond, because that is an impossible feat). As a result, I sometimes become a bit of a wild woman. With awesome hair. And mascara smudges.

And if that happens, then you – my loyal group of readers – get to enjoy the hilarity of the pictures and the stories.

But I’m hoping that this series will help me to make my campsite a little less chaotic (as in, there will be less plastic toys strewn about) and my trailer a bit more organized (again… less things… less strewn-about-ness). And if we end up being a bit more on the “Glamping” side of things, then all the better!

I have decided to channel my inner Shelley Long for this project:

This is how I feel when I camp! Source

I hope you’ll join me on my trip to Camping Wonderment.

Or I hope you’ll laugh when I tell you about my Camping Fails. Those will happen too.

I share my stuff at these fabulous places and here too.

Comments

• Tara says

I’m so glad that you can comment on my blog now, Angie! Hooray for WordPress! Now I have to figure out how to get these replies emailed to you. If this shows up in your inbox, please let me know! I’m wrestling with plug-ins right now!

I hope that you enjoy my camping series. I’m definitely not a Girl Guide (or Scout – for the non-Canadian version)! :)

• Tara says

Thank you, Bethany! I’m super-excited to share the series. I have a feeling that some things are going to be “What not to do”… I’ll have to remember to be trigger happy with the camera on our camping trip this week. :)

1. says

Yes! I cannot wait for this series. I think the image of Shelley Long clinched it for me…I may have seen Troop Beverly Hills about 87 times. Just kidding, it’s your witty writing that will keep me coming back for more. Yay for camping season! I will have to live vicariously through you as baby #2 on the way will definitely mean no off road adventures for us this summer.

• Tara says

The arrival of Lucy also caused us to take a year off – and I don’t blame you for laying low and staying out of the dirt with a newborn.

Troop Beverly Hills will be my inspiration for Glamping this year. Maybe I’ll post a recipe for “Fondue Al Fresco”. I love me some Phyllis Neffler. :)

• Tara says

Thank you, Rebecca! I’m very interested in your CommentLuv link. BBQ chicken and Havarti sandwich? Yes please! Heading over! :)

• Tara says

Mary – you are one of my “Glamping” inspirations! I should make you a little sign for your campsite… (Hey – check out my next post – if you see something you like, I’ll make it for you!)

2. says

Lol! I’m not much of a camper but I’m still excited to read your series, I know it will be informative and also hilarious. :) And I’m sure when my boys get bigger I’ll be “forced” to go camping again… I might actually enjoy glamping though!
    Jen @ Girl in the Garage recently posted…Weekend RecapMy Profile

• Tara says

I love that you’ll be “forced” to camp. Your boys will love it. And when they’re big enough that you can say, “GO TO SLEEP!” and then leave the trailer/tent, then you’ll know that you’re in prime camping years.

I’m hoping that I can incorporate a bit of “Glamp” into our site. Maybe it’ll be a bit more ramshackle than some would prefer, but I don’t want anything so fancy that I’d cry if the kids wrecked it. Let’s face it – the kids WILL wreck it. :)

3. says

I love the doe to go with the deer. And dear God, camping?!?! I don’t like to commune with the great outdoors. When I’m outdoors i’m typically on my screen porch. Not a big fan of bugs ….

Looking forward to those pics and stories, though. I’ll live vicariously through you while sitting in the comfort of my own air conditioned and indoor plumbing equipped home …

:) Linda
    Linda @ it all started with paint recently posted…how “it all started with paint” …My Profile

• Tara says

Oh, living vicariously is something I’m very good at. Bugs are not my friend, either. I don’t know how some people do it where the air is thick with bugs. We have more luck out here on the West Coast.

I hope that you enjoy the stories. And the indoor plumbing. That’s the only thing I have a tough time getting over when we camp. I like flush toilets (and not the one in our trailer). Who doesn’t like flush toilets? They’re so… flushable. And not connected to a holding tank right beneath your feet. Blech.

4. says

Congratulations on the quick switch from blogger to wordpress. I am impressed you are already up and running!!! I love this sweet little doe. How thoughtful of you to give that buck someone to flirt with :). I’m a huge fan of jade as well so this doe has completely stolen my heart. I can’t wait for your camping series to start. I am not a camper, more of a visit a cabin sort of a camper but I look forward to living vicariously through you :)
    Amy of while wearing heels recently posted…Money, Money, MoneyMy Profile

• Tara says

Oh… I owe it all to Kristi. I didn’t do any of the heavy lifting; I just have to do a bit of the clean-up and learn about an entirely new blogging platform. I do love that the buck has a friend to show off for. I’m learning that not many people are campers – and maybe this is because camping can sometimes be a royal pain in the ass. My goal is make it the opposite of that.

Cabins are nice, though. As are holiday homes and resorts. If wishes were horses… :)

5. says

I LOVE the doe Tara, too sweet and pretty. I think I need to get a little jade plant too, so adorable.
    Congrats on the move, I have only used wordpress and I think it is quite user friendly. It all looks fab so far!
    Camping huh. We sold our lovely trailer last summer because our new house is on a lake so we really don’t ever ever want to leave it in the summer (or even now for goodness sakes with 35 degree weather!). But I have very very fond memories of camping days (pre children) and would like to do some tenting again one day when the boys are a tad older. I look forward to a LOT of fun camping pictures so I can live vicariously through your trips.
    Krista
    Krista @thehappyhousie recently posted…Spring Cleaning: Linen Closet Rescue MissionMy Profile

• Tara says

Wise decision, starting on WP. I feel like I’m re-learning how to blog!

If you live on a lake, I can see why you wouldn’t feel the need to camp. You have your own little site right in your own backyard!

But please do follow along and “live vicariously”. Or at least laugh at my awkwardness.

I’m sure that your boys would love to tent. Me? I’m not a tenter. I like walls.

• Tara says

Thank you, Danni! Camping every weekend!?! That’s fantastic! We won’t go that often (plus – camping has gotten quite a bit more expensive, even in the 7 or 8 years Hubby and I have been camping), but I’m counting on the “having a blast” part!

• Tara says

Oh, girl – I’m the Queen of Lazy. But thankfully, my cuteness helps to distract from that. :)

And you’ve built a coop? Must go and check that out, pronto!

• Tara says

Adrianne – my buck and doe say thank you! I like how simple and clean they are too.

As for camping, will you guys get back in the habit after babe #2 grows up a bit? I’m sure there are probably some great spots out by where you are!

• Tara says

Oh yes… the kidlets will definitely have a hand in convincing him to camp. Our kids love it so much that we find ourselves getting excited just because THEY’RE excited.

I like hotels, too, though. They are handy when you don’t want to smell like a compost heap. :)

• Tara says

Do you guys camp often? I wonder how different Aussie camping is from Canadian camping? You probably don’t need huge fleece jackets and long pants at night (or maybe that’s me basing my assumptions on stereotypes?)… I hope that the pics are something worth sharing. We leave on Thursday!

• Tara says

OOOh….. you come here from Pinterest? That makes my heart feel happy. :) But yes, please follow me, and I’ll do the same for you.

“It’s Cookie time…” – Troop Beverly Hills is a thing of beauty.

• Tara says

Selene – I’m glad that you like them! They’re actually really easy. The hardest part is getting your hands on the stencil (which I cut out with my Cameo). Thanks for popping by!

• Tara says

Lynn… I’m so glad you like them! I probably wouldn’t have done half of the projects I’ve completed had it not been for my Cameo. It’s nice to be able to take something from Karen’s site and then whip up a little fabulousness without having to even leave home for supplies!

I’m noticing that you’re in the business of quilting – I desperately want to learn to quilt. Heading over your way! :)

• Tara says

Thank you, Malia! Oh, the move to WP has been a bit of an adjustment. I’m getting the hang of it, but I still sometimes miss the simplicity of Blogger. I don’t regret it, though. WP is by far the better choice. :)

• Tara says

Thank you! I’m intrigued by your blog name! Crafty Lumberjacks? I’m going to have to check you guys out! :)

Trackbacks