All You Need Is Love: Swallow Wall Art

Thank you, Blueprint Social and Plaid, for giving me a chance to play with these great stencils!

Ed Roth Sparrow Stencils - Wall Art  - Suburble  (1 of 1)

When it comes to crafting and decor, I’m always looking for an excuse to whip up some new art. I love to have a bit of something handmade on the walls.

And when I heard about Ed Roth’s new line of stencils, Stencil 1, I was thrilling with ideas of what I could create. His stencil line is on trend, and features some really fabulous designs. What more can you ask for?

Ed Roth Bird Stencil - Suburble.com (1 of 1)

I was sent the swallow stencil. You’ll notice that it has a background as well, should you want to create a layered stencil.

But I had a different idea.

To make the “Swallows in Love” wall art, you will need:

1 Ed Roth Stencil 1 Swallow Stencil (available at JoAnn)
FolkArt Multi-Surface Paint in Black
FolkArt Multi-Surface Paint in Tea
Paintbrushes (one should have a fine tip)
Water
Canvas/Cardstock
Black Cardstock
Twine/String
Hot Glue Gun/Glue Dots
Scissors
White Pen

Ed Roth Bird Stencil - applying paint - Suburble.com (1 of 1)

On a piece of cardstock, I placed the stencil onto one side. Using a paint that was not too heavily laden with paint (blot it on some paper towel to control the amount of paint on the bristles), I “pounced” the paint onto the stencils.

When stencils are detailed like this, it’s important to take a bit of time with your work. Be sure that you’ve filled in your lines, but don’t get too excited with the paint. Excess paint will bleed under the stencil and ruin the crisp lines that you’re looking for.  It’s called a “dry brush” technique – less is ALWAYS more.

Ed Roth Bird Stencil - before the watercolour treatment - Suburble.com (1 of 1)

Once the painting was done, I was left with this beautiful little fella.

These stencils are made of mylar, so they’re easy to wash up for immediate re-use. I quickly washed off the black paint from this side of the stencil and then flipped it over. I wanted another bird – facing in the opposite direction – to be on the other side of the piece.

Watering Down Acrylic Paint - Suburble  (1 of 1)

Once the two stencils had been completed and had dried, I got to work with painting the birds.

Multi-surface paint is extremely versatile – you can use it on fabric, paper, walls, dish ware and furniture – and you can even play with its vibrancy.

Using FolkArt Multi-Surface in Teal, I set out to achieve a watercolour look, but with the oomph of acrylic. I watered down the paint with approximately a tablespoon of water, and mixed well. Once it had gotten to the consistency I was looking for, I started painting.

Ed Roth - Painting with watered down acrylic paints - Suburble  (1 of 1)

Using the swallow’s feathers as a guideline, I highlighted different aspects of the bird with the slightly-diluted paint. I tried not to have too heavy of a hand with this step, as I knew that I would be using a different mixture for the body of the bird.

Ed Roth Sparrow Stencil  - Painting with watered down acrylic paints - Suburble  (1 of 1)

Once I had finished the “highlights” of the swallow’s body, I then diluted the paint with nearly a quarter cup of water. I wanted the paint to be just  a wash over the bare parts of the stencil.

Watered-down acrylic doesn’t behave the way typical watercolour paint does. Once it’s on, it’s on. Water won’t help it to blend or move. So it’s important to use a fine-tipped paintbrush and some patience while you paint.

Ed Roth Sparrow Stencils - Painting with watered down acrylic paints - Suburble  (1 of 1)

I was thrilled with how my swallows turned out. Yes, there may not be teal swallows darting around our backyard, but I think they look just darling on the wall.

Ed Roth Sparrow Stencil - Wall Art  - Suburble  (1 of 1)

To complete the project, I cut little diamonds out of black cardstock and then wrote the word LOVE on their bottom halves. I folded the diamonds over a piece of waxed thread and glued them together to create a miniature piece of bunting. Then I glued the bunting to the swallows’ mouths.

And now they’re twitterpaited.

Awww…..

Ed Roth Sparrow Stencil Wall Art  - Suburble  (1 of 1)

I love the simplicity of this piece. The “faux-watercolour” look of the acrylic paint is one that I’m definitely going to use again in another piece.

Perhaps this little beauty from the Stencil 1 line

Deer stencil

I want it.

Follow Plaid and stay on top of all-things-painted-and-wonderful:
Blog / Facebook / Pinterest / Instagram / Twitter / YouTube

1. March 20, 2014

Oh so pretty, the swallows are gorgeous.
    Mel recently posted…Bejeweled Bread BoxMy Profile

• March 21, 2014

Thank you, Mel! I’ve always liked bird art! 🙂

2. March 20, 2014
    amy @ one artsy mama

Love Ed Roth’s stencils, and love the faux watercolor effect you did on the birds!!
    amy @ one artsy mama recently posted…Easy Tag Blanket: #mfb Baby EditionMy Profile

• March 21, 2014

I love Ed Roth’s stuff, too! The water colour effect is one I’m definitely going to be trying again soon!

3. March 20, 2014
    Meredith @ Wait Til Your Father Gets Home

Love these stencils and the watercolor look is awesome for this print!! So pretty and creative 🙂
    Meredith @ Wait Til Your Father Gets Home recently posted…Easy Yarn Pom BouquetMy Profile

• March 21, 2014

Thank you so much, Meredith! I love how great these designs are.

4. March 20, 2014
    Melanie

This is positively lovely!
    Melanie recently posted…Birthday Number Photo PropMy Profile

• March 21, 2014

Aww… thanks, Melanie.

5. March 20, 2014
    Lindsay @Artsy-Fartsy Mama

So pretty!! Love using acrylics like watercolors.
    Lindsay @Artsy-Fartsy Mama recently posted…Artsy Corner Link PartyMy Profile

• March 21, 2014

I’m new to this diluted acrylic medium, but I’m really loving it. It’s such a pretty effect!

6. March 20, 2014

Those birds are absolutely sweet! Great job painting!
    Virginia Fynes recently posted…Welcome Spring With A New Spring WreathMy Profile

• March 21, 2014

Thank you, Virginia! It was a lot of fun!

7. March 21, 2014
    Inspire Me Heather

That looks so pretty Tara, that teal is just perfect for them and that banner is oh-so-cute!!
    Inspire Me Heather recently posted…how to: follow up on our goalsMy Profile

• March 21, 2014

Thank you, Heather! I love the colour too, even if it isn’t exactly “natural” for a swallow!

8. March 21, 2014
    Kadie

What a wonderful color you used! The stencils look great, and I love the bunting. All around it’s a wonderful project! 🙂
    Kadie recently posted…FROZEN Disney Movie PartyMy Profile

• March 21, 2014

Aww… thanks, Kadie! I’m a big bunting fan too!

9. March 21, 2014

OMG this is absolutely beautiful, Tara! I love the turquoise color….just stunning!
    Marilyn recently posted…Knit a Baby Bib & My Favorite Bloggers Go Baby StyleMy Profile

• March 21, 2014

Thank you, Marilyn! I’m really happy with these little birds!

10. March 21, 2014
    Kenz, Interiors By Kenz

Those birds are gorgeous!
    Kenz, Interiors By Kenz recently posted…Cheeky Cheeky BabyMy Profile

• March 21, 2014

Thank you, Kenzie! I loved how these little birds turned out! I don’t know why, but I’m always wanting to make more things to put up on the wall!

11. March 22, 2014
    Heather {Woods of Bell Trees}

These are super cute stencils! I LOVE that you can get a watercolor look with acrylic paints!
    Heather {Woods of Bell Trees} recently posted…Spring is HereMy Profile

• March 24, 2014

Isn’t so fantastic! I found that the acrylic really held its colour, too (unlike a lot of watercolours). I’ll be doing some experimenting for sure!

12. March 23, 2014
    Kerrie @ Family Food and Travel

Absolutely love this! So beautiful and you made it look so easy. Perfect to bring a little outdoors inside.
    Kerrie @ Family Food and Travel recently posted…Blue Cheese Butter + What Our Family is #MadeFrom #GayLeaFoodsMy Profile

• March 24, 2014

You’re so right, Kerrie! And it IS easy! The stencil was a great help in getting this effect.

13. March 23, 2014
    Jo-Anna

So pretty Tara! The swallows look gorgeous!
    Jo-Anna recently posted…Our Sunday Best Showcase #9!My Profile

• March 24, 2014

Aww… thank you, Jo-Anna!

14. March 23, 2014
    Emilija

love the black stencil and with the colour!

• March 24, 2014

Thank you, Emilija! 🙂

15. March 24, 2014
    Adrianne

Okay – what a cool product! I never would guess that this was a stencil, it looks like a painting that takes artistic talent. Not that you aren’t talented – what I mean to say is, “holy crap, I bet even *I* could pull this off!”

I love it. Thanks for sharing, I want to pick some of these up now!
    Adrianne recently posted…10-Minute Paper Bag NestMy Profile

• March 24, 2014

As soon as I saw the stencil I thought, “This would look so cool with a water-colour fill”. It really is as easy as it looks. It’s just all about patience and not going hog-wild with the paint brush (which I so often do!).

16. March 24, 2014
    Monica

Wow, this is so beautiful! I would love to give this a try, the swallows are so beautiful!
    Monica recently posted…Recipe to Riches {Winners & Voting Info.}My Profile

• March 24, 2014

Thank you, Monica! And you should try it! If I can do it, you can!

17. March 24, 2014
    gingermommy

Amazingly simple yet so pretty . I love this for spring!
    gingermommy recently posted…Pink Chocolate Pretzel Bark Easter Treat & RecipeMy Profile

• March 24, 2014

Thank you, Kim! I was thinking that, too. It’s nice to bring a bit of Spring into the house now. I’m ready for it!

18. March 24, 2014
    Randa @ TBK

That looks awesome. I never thought of watering down Acrylic before, thanks for the tip!

• March 24, 2014

I know! I’m so accustomed to using acrylics in their “full force” too, but now that I’ve discovered how wonderfully well they water down, I don’t know if I will ever look at them in the same way!

19. March 24, 2014
    jodi shaw

I wish I was talented like you, it’s so pretty what a great way to do your own wall art. 🙂
    jodi shaw recently posted…Need A New Vehicle? Visit West Star Motors, ChilliwackMy Profile

• March 24, 2014

Oh Jodi, I’m sure you could do this! The stencil helped a LOT. And I love making things for the walls – it’s become a bit of an addiction, honestly!

20. April 2, 2014
    Jamie

Tara, this is amazing! Totally pinning and I must try this. Gorgeous!
    Hugs,
    Jamie

• April 4, 2014

Oh… thank you, Jamie! It was a lot of fun, playing with the paints!