Set your Holiday Table with Ribbon

Quick and Easy Napkin Ring-1
I love to set the table.

There’s something so lovely about a table that is set with little details – even if it’s carefully chosen cutlery (which is what my mother fixates on), or candles (which is what my mother-in-law loves), or the decor (which is MY favourite part). When all of these things fall together, I find that the table just looks more welcoming.

It tells its guests, “We really want you to be here. So much so that we spend more time arranging dead branches in a crock than we did on 90% of the meal.”

That’s what hospitality looks like in my house!

In today’s post, I am using ribbon from May Arts. A group of bloggers were challenged to create a Rustic Christmas look with a variety of May Arts’ beautiful ribbons. It’s such a crazy site, guys. You can get lost in the choices.

I decided to create a simple and inexpensive – nevertheless beautiful – tablescape with ribbons… and twigs from the yard. And a paper towel tube.

Thrift was key here. Especially at Christmas time, we could all use a penny-pinching technique or two.

Quick and Easy Napkin Ring - Suburble.com-1
I love napkin rings, but they can be pricey little suckers. I was thinking about how to create my own when I was cleaning the kitchen. As I grabbed a roll of paper towel, the idea hit me! Why not cut up paper towel tubes and craft my own napkin rings?

Paper Tube Napkin Rings-1
Bingo-bongo, those look terrible!

But don’t worry, guys, they’re not supposed to be beautiful. They just have to be slightly smaller than the width of the ribbon.

Paper Tube Napkin Ring Tutorial -1
A bit of hot glue and this fabulous burlap and lace ribbon transformed those rough looking cardboard fellas into napkin rings!

And it took about 10 minutes to make all of them, start to finish!

A Ribbon Tablescape-1
I set the table on top of a “runner” of 6″ burlap ribbon. I LOVE this stuff. I’ve used it as a table runner on numerous settings, and it’s perfect! (And again… it doesn’t break the bank)

For this setting, I also added a strand of the metallic star ribbon, because I love metallics at Christmas.

Crock Centerpiece - Suburble.com-1
Because we’re keeping the theme rustic, I opted to use my new crock as the centerpiece. I picked this up at Granny and Grumpa’s last week, and regretted not getting more. Jamie also got one of the crocks, and Grumpa told her that she had a chicken feeder, as hers had a little hole right out of the bottom of it (meant to be flipped upside down on a plate). I assumed that mine was a regular crock… with a random hole drilled in the side of it.

Then Mr. Suburble asked, “Why is “Medalta” stamped upside down on this?!!”

Oh. Crap. This might be some sort of livestock feeder too.

Oh well… just wash it up and put some twigs in it. Nobody will know.

Except you guys…

Bottle Brush Tree Place Marker - Suburble.com-1
I am in LOVE with bottlebrush trees this season. These little guys are companions for the place cards. Lucy – who helped me set the table – piped up, “Mom.. I know what this snow is called. It’s called flocking!”

I did a double-take. Girl… do you have a secret 4-year-old design blog that I don’t know about?

Place Marker - Suburble.com-1

This table setting is an understated Christmas – it’s perfect for those who are strict December 1st types. (Not this girl, I’m itching to break out the tree!)

Rustic Tablescape - Suburble.com-1
And it was simple to create. A bit of burlap, some glue, paper towel rolls and twigs. Rustic is lovely and in style… but it’s also frugal.

I’m embracing it!

5 Min Napkin Rings

And check out what my fellow bloggy gals have been up to – they’ve been taking rustic to a whole new level!

Rustic Christmas

Pretty Gift Wrapping from The Sweetest Escape

Rustic Wreath from North Story

Wood Block Presents from The Happy Housie

Winter Swag from Satori Design for Living

1. November 14, 2014
    Christine

Oh! Love it Tara!! The napkin rings are on so pretty!! Wish I could set a table like that.. WOW! Pinned!
    Christine recently posted…Rustic Twig Christmas Ornaments – Rustic Christmas Ideas!My Profile

• November 14, 2014

Thanks, Christine! That’s so nice of you to say!

2. November 14, 2014
    Alex

Gorgeous Tara! All of it. I cannot wait til our kitchen is renovated just so I can have a proper table to decorate for celebrations. Love the upcycled napkin rings!
    Alex recently posted…Rustic Wreath & a Creative Canadian Blogger Christmas Hop!My Profile

• November 14, 2014

Thanks, lady! I can’t wait to see your renovated kitchen, too! It’s going to be great!

3. November 14, 2014
    Jo-Anna

Great idea Tara! I never thought to use paper towel tubes – genius! Love your table!

• November 14, 2014

Thanks, Jo-Anna! It was even easier than I thought. Thank goodness for my hoarding tendencies! 🙂

4. November 14, 2014
    lucy

Love this table setting and felt so welcomed to see my name. ..will right there. ..;)

• November 14, 2014

Lady, if I ever end up in the same place that you are (again), we have to do dinner! I’ll bring the placecard!

5. November 15, 2014
    Shauna

Looks great, girl! I can always count on you to make me laugh (not at your projects, but your writing) each time I visit your blog. I have one of those Medalta crocks too, only larger (not stamped backwards). Probably some sort of feeder too. I thought they were used for sauerkraut, no? I should do some research!
    Shauna recently posted…Front Porch Decorating: Winter SwagMy Profile

6. November 15, 2014
    Melissa

What a makeover! Who knew toilet paper rolls could be transformed into so many pretty things. I rarely use fabric napkins but this has inspired me to bring them out for the holidays this year.
    Melissa recently posted…DIY: rustic ribbon holiday gift tagsMy Profile

7. November 16, 2014
    Jenn

Gorgeous tablescape Tara!! I love how simple it is and that burlap and lace is perfect! We’ll have to make another trip out to Granny and Grandpa’s so you can pick up another crock pot. 😉

8. November 16, 2014
    Christina @The DIY Mommy

LOVELY table setting! Those napkin rings are so pretty, and the little bottle brush trees are adorable. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Christina @The DIY Mommy recently posted…Motivational Monday #25: Craft, DIY & Home Decor Link PartyMy Profile

9. November 17, 2014
    Angie@Echoes of Laughter

Really beautiful table and lovely napkin rings too! And you are such a terrific writer too! Angie xo
    Angie@Echoes of Laughter recently posted…No Bake Fruit & Nut BallsMy Profile

10. November 25, 2014
    Krista @ the happy housie

Isn’t it great when what is lovely and in style is also frugal? I love the DIY napkin rings – so pretty and simple. I am pretty sure I can come up with a few empty TP rolls in the near future;) Fun to be on this hop with you- sorry it took me so long to get over here! (Crazy couple of weeks:)
    Krista @ the happy housie recently posted…A First Glimpse of Our Christmas Home TourMy Profile

11. January 21, 2016
    Free Calendars

Aw, this was an extremely good post. Taking a few minutes and actual effort to
    create a really good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a whole
    lot and don’t manage to get nearly anything done.
    Free Calendars recently posted…Free CalendarsMy Profile