I’m going to say this right here: I’m not a vegan, but I play one in the kitchen sometimes.
I have friends who are vegan, dairy-free, and egg-free, and it’s nice to experiment with recipes that I know will work should I host a meal. This recipe is also nut-free (as I will slice up a small brownie and tuck it into a lunch box), but fair warning: it is wheat-full.
Gluten is my homeboy. Sorry guys. I can’t give him up.
I was experimenting with Blue Dragon coconut milk as a milk alternative, and I came across this recipe by The Veg Mom. I opted to use coconut oil instead of vegetable oil, and I cooked it a bit longer, but the brownies came out delicious.
This brownie is a cinch to make, and just requires a bit of cooling time in the fridge. Because there isn’t any egg as a binding agent, I found that this brownie set much better after an hour of chilling in the fridge. With the coconut cream and the coconut oil, it’s a very moist brownie – so having it right out of the oven might not result in a firm square.
But if you like brownie crumble – by all means!
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup from the TOP of an unshaken can of Blue Dragon Full-fat Coconut Milk (The creamy bit) - though I have gotten away with the top of a Lite Coconut Milk as well
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line an 8X8 baking pan with parchment
- Mix the oil, coconut cream, cocoa powder and sugar together using a whisk
- Add the dry ingredients until combined
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Spread evenly in baking dish
- Bake for 20 minutes; let cool and then transfer to fridge for 1/2 hour
- Serve with strawberries and syrup, or dust with icing sugar
I think that strawberry syrup adds a bit of loveliness to the plate – and also make the brownies look more decadent. I’ll tell you – they’re very rich.
And they don’t last long.
If you’re cutting out dairy, egg, or just trying to practice using coconut milk in recipes, try these brownies. You won’t be disappointed!
I am part of the Blue Dragon Canada ambassador program and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.