Jewellery Organizer Tutorial (that doubles as a fabulous art piece!)

Well, here is where I admit a bit of weakness, people. Get your popcorn and your sodas.

I am currently a competitor in the fabulous One Artsy Mama’s One Crafty Contest.

It’s a competition where bloggers create pieces based on the prompts that Amy gives us. Each week, we have four days to create a piece, and then for a day and a half, there is a voting round (which results in some eliminations from the contest). Pretty cool, isn’t it? I created the piece below based on the category of “Paint”.

Sadly, I was voted out of that round. I didn’t earn enough votes.

Whomp whommmmmmp.

But then something crazy happened – a contestant had to drop out of the race – and I was offered another chance to take part in the competition! I humbly accepted the offer, and thus, I’m still a competitor! I ask that you visit Amy’s blog and check out the next round of projects (the category is washi tape), and vote next Monday and Tuesday (’til noon). Maybe I’ll move onto the next round, and maybe I won’t. But I’m excited to compete, nonetheless.

And aside from my dabblings in competitive crafting, I’m still very proud of what I created! Using paint, some Ikea frames that just hadn’t yet reached their potential, and some other bits and bobs from the craft room, I created two snazzy little jewellery organizers to sit upon my dresser.

Here’s how I did it:

jewellery organizer

Some of you will recognize these frames. These are plastic Ikea frames that are cheapy-cheapy-cheap. I bought them a while back, and they’ve collected dust ever since. They’re just so plasticky with their original finishes. It’s as if they were meant for a child’s room. I knew that they could be fabulous, but it would take a bit of spray paint-love.

jewellery organizer 1 - Suburble

I gathered my materials: some acrylic paint, corkboard cut to 5X7 dimensions, and a foam brush. I also used some burlap, but I didn’t take a picture of that, because it was actually just a sandbag that I had sitting in a pile. Don’t ever underestimate the sandbag. It’s incredibly handy (aside from preventing huge bodies of water from rushing into homes and doing thousands of dollars of damage… if you consider that useful).

Jewellery Organizer Tutorial 2 - Suburble

Hooray for spray paint! The frames were now glitzy and ready for their close-ups.

jewellery organizer tutorial - Suburble

I mixed Martha Stewart’s acrylic paint (Summer Linen) with Mod Podge to dilute it and to make it super sticky. I then used this gloopy mixture to affix the burlap onto the corkboard. It worked like a charm. I’m remembering this technique for future projects.

I then used another paint (Martha’s “Arrowhead”) to stencil on an image of a vintage woman’s silhouette and of The Graphics Fairy’s Queen Bee. I loved how both of these images turned out. The lines aren’t entirely crisp, but I think that’s true to the project – it’s supposed to be a bit rough around the edges!

Silhouette Jewellery Organizer 3- Suburble - Copy

These pieces could stand alone as art (and I have considered that), but there was a reason why I stuck that burlap onto the corkboard. I wanted jewellery to be able to slip into the textured surface; this art also had a purpose.

Silhouette Jewellery Organizer - Suburble

And it works like a charm.

Silhouette Jewellery Organizer 4 - Suburble

This cameo is my favourite, I think. So sweet.

Silhouette Jewellery Organizer 6 - Suburble

Both pieces now sit atop my dresser in my bedroom. I love how they’ve turned out, and I also love how I’ve managed to organize and display my jewellery in a way that isn’t utilitarian and boring. There’s nothing wrong with a little bit of fabulousness when it comes to organizing your stuff.

Plus, I got to use spray paint. I love spray paint.

I share my stuff at these glamourous places.

Don’t Miss Another Post! Subscribe Via Email!

Enter your email address:Delivered by FeedBurner

Comments

• Tara says

Thanks, Mel! I’ll probably need that luck! ;) I’m not counting any chicks before they’ve hatched.

• Tara says

Thanks, Lisa! I’m slowly working on a blog redesign – it’s taking a bit of time (and learning), but the header was done for me. I can’t take credit for that. ;)

Knowing my luck, I’ll probably get knocked out this round. But oh well… at least I have an excuse to play with washi tape!

• Tara says

Oh, thank you, Alli! I love the way the project turned out (especially the cameo). The header is fantastic – I agree. I owe it all to Whitney (the designer)!

• Tara says

Thank you, Randi! We’ll see what happens this round. If I get knocked out again, we’ll know it wasn’t meant to be (and that’s okay). I know I’ve got some stiff competition! :) Looking forward to seeing what you come up with too!

• Tara says

Krista – you are a doll. I always look forward to your comments!

p.s. I have to be anonymous in the contest. It’s tough to earn votes via friendship that way. ;)

1. says

These frames are so precious. I knew, immediately, when I saw them in the contest they were yours…why, well…because I loved them! You did an amazing job. I am glad Amy asked you back into the contest. I can’t wait to see what else you create. You deserve it!!!
    Amy of while wearing heels recently posted…Magical Birthdays (repost)My Profile

• Tara says

Oh, thank you, Amy. You may have also known they were mine because we’re blogging BFFs. Plus, you have a rad sense of style.

(See how I complimented myself there, too?)

I’m so lucky to have you on my team, lady. Can’t wait to read all about Grace’s birthday!

• Tara says

Thanks, Amy! Hopefully I’ll get your vote in the next round! This Washi tape round is going to be an interesting one!

2. says

These are so lovely, Tara! I agree, just because it’s practical, doesn’t mean it can’t be cute, too! Plus, I’m a fan of any tutorial when you can add a speech or thought bubble to share what the objects are saying (hooray for personification), so this gets an A++ in my book. Thanks for the inspiration! And for stopping by my blog! It’s really fun to get to know you on FB and beyond.

Warmly,
    Lauren
    The Thinking Closet
    Lauren @ The Thinking Closet recently posted…Fabric Applique Onesie Tutorial & Free Cut FileMy Profile

• Tara says

Thank you so much, Theresa! I, too, love them either as art alone or as a functional piece! I’ll definitely check out your party – thank you for the invite!

• Tara says

Hi Anga,

Are you asking how I fit the burlap behind the frame? I just used a bit of pressure and eventually, everything snapped together, just as if it was a picture in the frame.

Are you using the same frames? Or are they different? Let me know if I can help!

Trackbacks