30 Handmade Gift Ideas for Men

30 Handmade Gifts for the Guys - Make him something he actually loves!

So, my mother came up with a plan this year.

Our family is going to change how Christmas gift-giving is done. No longer will we be allowed to rush hurriedly through malls and click on things on Amazon.

No. She has called an end to all of that. Instead, she has declared that this year will be a handmade or upcycled Christmas. Nothing can be brand-new. Everything has to involve some element of creativity. You have to think, “What will he or she like, that I can make?”

And so, in response to this challenge, I’ve rallied the troops. A bunch of us bloggers have gathered up some of the best handmade gifts out there. From simple to advanced – from more involved to only $5 a project – there is a gift in our Ultimate Library of Handmade Gifts for everyone.

The one recipient I’ve always had trouble brainstorming handmade gifts for is a whole half of the human population: men. For some reason, I get stumped when it comes to my hubby, dad, brother-in-law, or other guy friend. Unless he’s a huge fan of things-that-are-spray-painted, I find myself searching for ideas.

And I’ve found them. I’ve gathered 30 ideas for the fella in your life. And I think these ideas are pretty awesome.

If you’re dealing with a Foodie:

__m-bacon-salt-1-1

Make this delicious Bacon Salt by Not Quite Nigella

008edited>

Is he a grilling machine? Make him this great BBQ shirt by The Cards We Drew.

BBQ Rub stonegableblog.com TITLE PAGE - blog

Perhaps package the t-shirt up with this Magic BBQ Rub by Stone Gable Blog?

Make_Your_Own_Citronella_Candles

Sidenote: if he’s often outside with the grill, why not package up a few homemade citronella candles up for him? Keep the bugs away with this project by All Things G&D.

Duo

Personalize his toothpick holder with this great tutorial by Lauren of The Thinking Closet!

diy-wood-slice-board-7_large

I REALLY want this amazing cheese and meat platter made from a wood slice. Get the tutorial from Man Made DIY.

Recycling-Tree-Branches-into-Coasters-via-Garden-Therapy

Or maybe drinks on the patio are more his speed? Head to Garden Therapy and learn how to make these great wood slice coasters.

DIY-comic-book-coasters
If he’s less woodsy, and more Comic Book Store, make these great Comic Book coasters. Amy from Mod Podge Rocks has the how-to!

And if he’s a connoisseur of things that are boozy:

6a01348801c766970c017ee61a06ea970d-800wi
This Jack Daniels soap dispenser is great for the man who likes a bit of whiskey in his glass. Get the tutorial on Curly Birds!

wine-bottle-holder-3
Or maybe wine is his drink of choice? Make this great wine and glasses holder created by Down Home Inspiration. Picnics or tromps to the beach have never been easier!

fd8uk6ugn4d0ax8.medium

Or if it’s just having a beer in the backyard, create this $2 beer holder from a Man Made DIY tutorial!

Personalized-beer-crate

Present a few of his favourite ales in a personalized crate. Alex shows how she made this one for her own hubby on Northstory!

If his drink of choice is coffee:

cup_cozy-1
Don’t let him burn his hands! Make a simple and easy cup cozy. Head to One Dog Woof to get the deets!

DIY_mug1

Or break out the paints and design him a hand-painted mug! See how Amanda did it on Wit and Whistle.

DIY-Coffee-Bean-Soap-so-easy-1024x1024
Why not smell like your favourite drink? This is a soap to wake up with! Living Well Spending Less has the how-to

He wants to feel pretty too:

hand scrub 027

Hard-working hands take a beating. Help him scrub ’em up with the Manly Scrub created by Paper Turtle.

DIY-MANhand-Salve-Smells-like-a-man-made-for-a-man.

Winter brings cracked and chapped hands. Give him some MANhand salve in his stocking. Head to Crunchy Betty to get the recipe!

shave1-466x700

Or what about a nice Rosemary Mint shaving cream? Food for My Family has the tutorial.

He likes to play games:

DSC_0070-001
Kenzie’s Jumbo Jenga project is perfect for the outside BBQ or party! Paint it or leave it natural!

BAGGO-Project-Opener-Photo1-518x600
Or take Build Basic’s pattern for a Baggo set and give him a great game to take camping!

azIku
Does he have a man cave? Or even just a basement? This wall-friendly cork board and dart set will be a hit!

Easy-Baseball-Wall-Decor-at-www.thebensonstreet.com_
And in that man cave, add some amazing sports memorabilia to the wall. Emily from The Benson Street has this easy tutorial!

make-macgyver-style-chess-set-using-just-nuts-bolts.w654
Maybe chess is more his speed? Make a customized set from nuts and bolts! Tutorial on WonderHowTo.

Fiendish puzzle_lead.jpg-530x0

Or maybe puzzles are his thing? This easy-to-make puzzle is actually very tricky to solve! Get the pattern at American Woodworker.

He’s practical:

family charging station phone ipad iPhone usb WM labeled
Make him this charging station to keep everything together (and fully charged). Tutorial on Driven By Decor.

DIY-wristband.jpg

If he’s working with odds and ends (screws, nails, pins or paperclips), why not follow Pauline’s instructions on My Altered State to make a magnetic wrist band?

425100179a1d63bb24bc6a6002270bb3

Or create a bedside table organizer for his watch and rings? House of Hepworths has the How-To for this piece.

DSC_0107

Does he write? Or carry a planner? Personalize it with this tutorial by Mufn Inc.

matchbox_suit-7

How are you going to wrap it? ChiWei from On Dog Woof knows.

If he’s a bit lovey-dovey:

love_gift_2012

Tell him that you are too. This 52 Things That I Love About You is just plain nice. Why not tell him how you feel? Get some ideas for this project from Visual Heart.

And there’s more!

The Ultimate (1) (1)

The girls and I have created an amazing collection of handmade gift tutorials and inspiration.The Ultimate Library of Handmade Gifts is an invaluable resource. Make it personal and make it handmade this year. Get your ideas below.

Sewing Gifts for Kids by Li’l Miss Tori
30 Minute Gifts by It Happens In A Blink
Mason Jar Gifts by Sweet Tea and Saving Grace
Jewelry and Wearable Gifts by One Artsy Mama
Gifts for the Loveable Nerd by 4 You With Love
Handmade Beauty Gifts by Pitter and Glink
Wooden Handmade Gift Ideas by One Dog Woof
Gifts for Avid Readers by The Benson Street
$5 Handmade Gifts by Happy Go Lucky
DIY Coaster Gifts by The Thinking Closet

Looking for more gift ideas?

Beeswax Candle square - Suburble
Make Your Own Beeswax Candles!

Wood Slice Magnet Tutorial - Suburble.com (1 of 1)
Make Wood Slice Magnets!

60 Amazing Spray Painting Projects
Spray Paint Something (seriously – it’s amazing!)

Don’t Forget to Follow my Gifts for Men Pinterest board:

Follow Tara @ Suburble’s board Handmade Gifts for Men on Pinterest.

1. October 6, 2014

WOW, what a great collection! I think that bacon salt would go great with my bacon jam! I LOVE the chess board made from hardware!
    Marilyn recently posted…Ultimate Library of Handmade Gifts – 200+ TutorialsMy Profile

• October 7, 2014

Bacon jam sounds divine. Mr. Suburble is an easy sell when it comes to bacon!

• May 9, 2015
      Diyallinone

This is an amazing article, you minght wanna check this one too, it’s similar just has different ideas 🙂

Gift ideas for men 2015

2. October 6, 2014
    Stephanie

Tara – lots of great ideas here! Thank you for the list and including my coasters. I’m off to look up how to make the Jenga and the magnetic wristband now….
    Stephanie recently posted…Highly Addictive Rosemary Pumpkin SeedsMy Profile

• October 7, 2014

Your coasters are gorgeous; I was thrilled to include them! 🙂

3. October 6, 2014
    Bethany

Bethany recently posted…{25 Handmade Beauty Gifts}My Profile

• October 7, 2014

Thank you for your own amazing collection, Bethany! I’m going to be perusing that list when I start making my Christmas gifts.

4. October 6, 2014
    Michelle @ Eamonn & Jack

That grill t-shirt is amazing. Wish I had known about it sooner – it would be perfect for my brother and his birthday’s in 2 days. Hmmm – Christmas?
    Michelle @ Eamonn & Jack recently posted…One Room Challenge: Bedroom – Week OneMy Profile

• October 7, 2014

I know! Isn’t it awesome!?!? I want it.

For myself.

5. October 6, 2014
    Pauline Henderson

Thanks for sharing the wristbands!
    Pauline Henderson recently posted…Salvage Style | Upcyled MirrorsMy Profile

• October 7, 2014

Thank you for the fabulous idea! I can think of a few people who would love these!

6. October 7, 2014
    Kirsten

I love this collection Tara. My hubs is so hard to shop for but I see quite a few things on this list that he would love. So awesome – thanks for the inspiration!
    Kirsten recently posted…Halloween Specimen Jar CenterpieceMy Profile

• October 7, 2014

My hubby is also hard to shop for. He rarely gives up clues.

It’s medium-annoying! 🙂

7. October 7, 2014
    PersonallyAndrea

Really why can’t guys just like things that are spray-painted? Or labeled with chalkboard paint? But this round-up is awesome! I need to start crafting!
    PersonallyAndrea recently posted…How to Take This Photograph: Mason JarsMy Profile

• October 7, 2014

I don’t understand why they wouldn’t! Things that are spray-painted are the very best of things.

But guys are complicated. I can’t wait to make a few of these things for the fellas on my list! 🙂

8. October 8, 2014
    heather meads

Wow, what a very cool roundup!! I think that’s great too declaring this Season as either up-cycled or handmade gifts only! Thanks again for the post, it’s a keeper!
    heather meads recently posted…dangerous selfiesMy Profile

9. October 20, 2014
    Susan

Thank you for all these. I found quit a few ideas for difficult people!

10. November 4, 2014
    Adam

Those are some pretty awesome gifts, but I was stuck on that first one and really want to try the bacon salt. Cool!

11. July 6, 2015
    Jethra

I’ll try it for my boyfriend’s b’day! Thank you!

12. July 22, 2015
    Ryan Herbstsomer

I love how much wood was included in this post! And I love that it’s handmade gifts for men, rather than just any gifts for men. Always buy handmade to support your the artists!

Also lot’s of items I haven’t seen before, great job Tara! 🙂

13. October 14, 2015
    Harry Barber

For men, I don’t think that too difficult to choose the meaningful gift. They almost like something handmade or being useful for daily life! Anyway, thanks for sharing great tips!

• October 20, 2015

Harry, that’s a lovely thing to say. You’re right – most guys like that you’ve taken the time to make them something. For me, the trouble is sometimes finding something that they will need or use. The fellas in my life are much more low-maintenance than the women. 😉

14. December 2, 2015
    Rebecca

I’m always trying to figure out what I can make for my husband that he would actually like and use. What a great list. And thanks for the link straight to your Pinterest board.
    Rebecca recently posted…A Service & Activity Advent CalendarMy Profile

15. December 5, 2015
    Joanita Theron

This is seriously the best list by far for gifts for men! Thank you so much for sharing. I will be visiting your other lists as well. Pinning and Sharing.

Congratulations, you are being featured in this week’s
    Snickerdoodle Mini Round Up!
    Have an awesome day!
    Joanita
    Joanita Theron recently posted…Snickerdoodle Mini Round Up #10My Profile

16. December 6, 2015
    Erin

Epic list! I love the family charging station and the comic book coasters! 🙂 And in my area baggo is called Cornhole! 🙂
    Erin recently posted…How to Make the Most of What You Have |Frugality & GratitudeMy Profile

17. March 1, 2016
    www.swedenhotelfinder.com

I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, many thanks for allowing me to comment!
    http://www.swedenhotelfinder.com recently posted…http://www.swedenhotelfinder.comMy Profile

18. May 11, 2016
    Dom Smith

I really like your collection. It’s always hard to buy gifts for men and even harder to figure out what to make them. Thanks for this great collection to inspire!

19. August 3, 2016
    Monty

I found awesome handmade man shoes: http://peppeshoes.com ! Have crazy colors! I love them!

20. November 17, 2016
    Kaitlyn

All of these are so neat! I like how most are really functional, too! Thanks for making this list!

21. November 18, 2016
    David Blanchard

Hey Tara,

Great Job!

The post has such great ideas for gifting men at the perfect occasions.Its not that tough to choose what to gift in the case of men but still these ideas are soo unique and thoughtful .there are many such things that i would love to receive as gifts. 🙂

Thanks for sharing such informative post and keeping posting!!!
    David Blanchard recently posted…The Importance of Presentation for BusinessmenMy Profile

22. November 22, 2016
    Michel margarita

Helpful post. Don’t give common things to your guy in special occasions. Special occasions should be celebrated with some special gifts and here the top 10 best gifts for men this Christmas .

23. December 9, 2016
    Elli Avram

All Idea Are Very Supper And Interesting. I love To watch Every Picture.
    I personally like “DIY MAGNETIC WRISTBAND”, idea are awesome
    Anyway, Thank You For Sharing With As.

24. December 9, 2016
    Ronak

Nice Article I Have Great Collection of Indoor And Outdoor Fountain.
    visit my website.

25. January 3, 2017
    café verde emagrece preço

Рeгder peso , a grosso modߋ, é diminuiг a massa corpórea e não peso que recebe aρlicação sobre a
    força da gravіdade.
    café verde emagrece preço recently posted…café verde emagrece preçoMy Profile

26. January 10, 2017
    Smith

These are some great ideas, I had not heard of many of these services. I love the coffee box, we love great coffee and my husband would love this. Or the BBQ box, Bruce loves to cook on his smoker and grill. This would be just as much fun for you as it is for him, watching him open the box and try on or use what’s inside. Love these ideas!