The Clover Necklace

Clover Necklace Tutorial - Suburble.com-1

Okay guys, it’s getting real around here.

We’re about a month out from Christmas and I’ve got this Handmade/Upcycled Christmas thing looming over my head inspiring me every second, it’s time to start talking about making presents.

Today, it is the necklace. If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it twenty times on the blog, learn to make your own jewelry.

It’s so easy. And so CHEAP!

This recent necklace is one that I love. The clover shape is something I’ve been gravitating to lately – and the colour of these connectors – the light green – is a perfect match for the gold chain I has put aside for it.

To make your own clover-connector necklace, you will need:

Jewelry Pliers (two sets of flat-nosed pliers and one set of wire cutters)
Gold Chain (approximately 20 inches)
5 connectors
12 gold jump rings
A clasp (I chose a toggle clasp)

Gold Clover Necklace- measuring the necklace- Suburble.com-1
Adrianne (you guys probably know her from all of the gabbing I do about her, but she’s at Happy Hour Projects, if you aren’t already acquainted) turned me onto this bead tray. She’s a jewelry designer extraordinaire, and naturally organized (whereas I am naturally chaos in a tornado). Now that I have this built-in-ruler-bead-catcher-thingy, I’m much better at making symmetrical pieces.

I spaced out my connectors, and then using my wire cutters, I cut pieces of chain to sit between them. Rather than have a single strand of chain between each connector, I doubled back on the chain so that I could have two strands.

I know. I’m getting wild here.

But the double-chains would add visual interest. I knew it would look good.

Gold Clover Necklace- attaching jump rings- Suburble.com-1
I used two sets of flat nosed pliers to open (and close) the jump rings. I slipped on in the middle of the “doubled” chain, and then another joining the two ends.

It’s important to use the pliers to close the jump rings, rather than your fingers. The pliers ensure that you get a snug fit that won’t be easily snagged open (thus causing your necklace to slip from your neck).

Gold Clover Necklace- slipping the clovers onto the jump ring- Suburble.com-1
While the jump rings were opened, I attached them to the clover connectors. A quick close of the ring, and the necklace quickly came together.

I added two lengths of single chain to the ends of the 1st and 5th connector. Each was about 6 inches long.

toggle closure - Suburble.com-1
The necklace was finished with a toggle clasp. It’s such a classic and gorgeous look.

Clover Necklace - Suburble.com-1
And before I knew it, the necklace was done!

Jewelry comes together so quickly; it’s perfect for a girl who loves instant gratification! (Like this girl!)

And when you’ve got a list of  things that need to be handmade/upcycled/get yer ass on Craigslist and start shopping for… then “quick” is sometimes a nice feature of a project.

Gold Clover Necklace- Suburble.com-1

This necklace might find its way into a little box this Christmas, or it might just end up walking out the door with me – I haven’t decided yet!

Gold Clover Necklace Tutorial - Suburble.com-1
But regardless of its fate, I love it.

It’s so nice to know that this little fella came from an afternoon of puttering around and playing with bits and bobs in my crafty space.

Handmade Gift-Givers – have you stumbled into the land of jewelry making yet?

I really think you should.

1. November 24, 2014

pretty necklace, I want it for myself! I can make a gift for myself can’t I?! Great tutorial
    Virginia Fynes recently posted…Needle Felted Wool Socks #CDNHandmadeHolidayMy Profile

• November 25, 2014

Oh, I definitely think we can make gifts for ourselves; we’re already making so much for everyone else! 🙂

2. November 24, 2014
    Bethany

Gorgeous! I love the gold chain with the turquoise clovers!
    Bethany recently posted…Simple, Inexpensive Thanksgiving Table SettingMy Profile

• November 25, 2014

Thank you, Bethany! I can’t give up my love of gold… even the faux stuff! 😉

3. November 24, 2014
    Dannyelle @ www.lifeisaparty.ca

I’m inspired. You make it looks so easy, and it’s so pretty I might just have to take a chance on it too. Thanks for sharing.

• November 25, 2014

Dannyelle, it really isn’t hard at all! I was amazed when I started making jewelry – it’s just about having the tools!

4. November 24, 2014
    Thea

This is a lovely gift idea! Your photography is stunning too!
    Thea recently posted…Cranberry Pear Relish RecipeMy Profile

• November 25, 2014

Thank you, Thea! That’s a great compliment!

5. November 24, 2014
    Jo-Anna

This is very pretty Tara! I love jewelry, but handmade is even better! Love it!
    Jo-Anna recently posted…Mini Yarn Wreath Christmas Tree Ornaments #CDNHandmadeHolidayMy Profile

• November 25, 2014

Thank you so much, Jo-Anna! I’m excited to give jewelry this year at Christmas time. (I’m a bit of a jewelry addict myself!)

6. November 24, 2014
    dani@lifeovereasy

Love it Tara! You’re getting really good at this – hmmm do I see a second career happening?

• November 25, 2014

Dani – you’re so sweet. When the “Time Fairy” shows up and gives me an extra hour in the day, I might consider it. 😉

7. November 25, 2014
    Laurie@ Vin’yet Etc.

Wow, your skills are mad! I am so impressed! I can see why you are thinking of gifting this beauty to your self!
    Laurie@ Vin’yet Etc. recently posted…EASY DIY – Winterberry branches for ChristmasMy Profile

• November 25, 2014

Awww… that’s so nice, Laurie! Honestly, I still have a LOT to learn. I have a few friends who are insanely talented in the jewelry-making realm. I have to keep practicing!

8. November 25, 2014
    Jen

Beautiful, I love the colour of the clovers with the gold. What a lovely piece.
    Jen recently posted…20 Christmas Cookie Recipes for Kids to MakeMy Profile

• November 25, 2014

Thank you so much, Jen!

9. November 27, 2014
    Crystal @ Sew Creative

So pretty! We really need to get together for a jewelry making party!
    Crystal @ Sew Creative recently posted…My Cricut Design Space Star Collection (have you entered to win a Cricut Explore?)My Profile