I could live off of soup.
I’m just telling you that now, because Mr. Suburble – the meat and potatoes connoisseur of the house – does not understand my love of the stuff.
But soup is the stuff of warm bellies and quiet moments. And when a soup is tasty? Oh… how can you not go back for seconds?
It took me a long time to make my own tomato soup. For the longest time, I relied on the can and a cup of milk. It’s the tomato soup of my childhood. But having made my own soup from scratch and tweaking the recipe a bit, I’ve learned that it’s really easy to whip it up.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced/crushed
- 1 can - including juice - of whole peeled tomatoes (I used Italissima - they come seasoned)
- 3 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 4-5 basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil
- Sautee the onion and garlic until translucent
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock, basil leaves, and sugar to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer for approximately 30 min
- Puree with an immersion blender until desired consistency is reached
- Top with diced basil leaves or croutons
Some recipes call for the basil to be added after the soup has been pureed. I prefer to have it mixed up with the tomato base. I’ve also made this soup with bouillon and hot water when I don’t have stock on hand.
It was still pretty damn good.
Serve it with croutons (so delicious – my favourite) or crumble up on basil and sprinkle it on top of the soup.
And then tell the Mr. Suburbles of the world how good soup is.
They need to be educated.
Thanks for the recipe…I always have a lot of basil from the garden in the summer and am looking for new ways to use it.
Thanks, Doug! I’m managing to keep my basil plant alive (which is amazing, as my last two have kicked the bucket rather quickly), so I’m constantly trying to use basil in recipes now. I just popped it into a green curry dish the other day, and it was delicious!
Lisa @ Fun Money Mom
I LOVE tomato basil soup but have never made it from scratch. I thinks it’s about time I try! Thanks so much for sharing at Share The Wealth Sunday!
Lisa @ Fun Money Mom
I LOVE tomato soup and this looks delicious!!! Thanks so much for sharing at Share The Wealth Sunday!
Thank you for joining the Small victories Sunday Linkup. Please join again. Pinned to the group board.
Found your link on Link Party Palooza. This looks soooo delicious! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Thanks for joining the party. Pinned & shared. Hope to see you again soon. Looks yummy.