“Joy” String Art

Crafty Christmas (1)

This post is a part of Nap-Time Creation’s Sew Craft Christmas! Click the image above to get even more Christmas inspiration!

Joy String Art sq - Suburble

Do you remember last week, when I shared my project for the One Item Challenge? Well, this week, our item was branches.

And I took it, and ran…

Joy String Art Tutorial 1 - Suburble

… all the way to Michaels to pick up a slice of wood.

There was so much potential in that slice. It was just waiting for something.

Joy String Art Tutorial 2 - Suburble

And so I thought that it was crying out for some cigar box nails (3/4″) and some embroidery floss.

Joy String Art Tutorial 3 - Suburble

I stenciled the outline of the word “Joy” by using a simple pencil-transfer technique. First, I printed out Joy on standard computer paper.

Joy String Art tutorial 4 - Suburble.com

Using a sharpened pencil, I heavily shaded the areas behind the letters.

Joy String Art Tutorial 5 - Suburble

Then, I taped the paper to the wood and traced the letters. I’d say “carefully”, but if you look closely, you’ll see that’s not true at all.

Remember, this is a rustic piece. Feel the rusticity. Go with it!

Joy String Tutorial Tutorial 6 - Suburble.com

Starting from a corner point, start hammering in your nails. Go slowly, and try not to hurt your fingers.

Joy String Art Tutorial 7 - Suburble

I actually kind of liked the way it looked without the string… but I had a plan. I continued on…

Joy String Art Tutorial 8 - Suburble

My advice for creating the “art” of the string art is to just be free with it. Tie an end of the string to one nail and then go crazy! Wrap the string around the nails and let the string guide you.

Joy String Art 1 - Suburble.com

And when you’re done (and this is something you can do while watching t.v. – trust me, I have experience), you’ve got gorgeous holiday art!

I know… I didn’t choose typical Christmas colours, but I like it that way. You can grab some red and green and make your sign all festive-like.

Or you can choose another word, like “Noel” or “Love” or “Snow”. Or even someone’s name (and slap a bow on it)!

Tell me, what would YOUR sign say?

One Item Project Challenge 2013 Thumbnail

And visit the other branch-themed projects from the One Item Challenge:

Check out what the other participants created with branches:

Shauna at Satori Design For Living

Tiffany at Living Savvy

DIY Stick Trees

Kristin at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

DIY Thankful Branches with Ornaments

1. November 20, 2013
    Becky

Hi Tara,

This is lovely. I like how simple and pretty it is. And easy! I love easy 🙂
    Becky recently posted…The Perfect Present for Anyone!My Profile

• November 20, 2013

Oh, easy is my favourite type of craft! 🙂

2. November 20, 2013
    Shauna @ Satori Design for Living

Looks like we were both thinking log slices for this project. Love the string art idea and how it could easily be changed up depending on what color way you wanted to go. On Steven and Chris the other day they were making a stamp for fabric and they used pliers to make sure the nails were all even and fingers were saved- thought it was a good idea.
    Shauna @ Satori Design for Living recently posted…Log Slice Chalkboard OrnamentsMy Profile

• November 20, 2013

Your ornaments are divine! I love them!

The plier idea is a good one. I’ll remember that for my next string-art project!

3. November 20, 2013
    Lauren @ The Thinking Closet

Tara, I am in love with this joy string art! I want to marry it! Seriously, the wood slice speaks to the lover of all things rustic, the word JOY is my favorite word for this holiday season, and the string art just gives it that unique edge to make it a true stand-out. Way to go, girlie!
    Lauren @ The Thinking Closet recently posted…Silhouette Cameo Giveaway (And I Made You a Music Video)My Profile

• November 20, 2013

Oh, thank you so much, Lauren! I think that wood slices are just the thing du jour right now in holiday crafting – and I love it!

4. November 21, 2013
    Tiffany {Living Savvy}

This is the best! I LOVE that you took branches and literally used a stump! I have loved this sort of art for a while, and this is the perfect addition to the holiday decor! I think you could leave it up all winter!

5. November 22, 2013

How cute! I have no patience for string art, but I could probably get the grandson to pound in all the nails!
    Danni@SiloHillFarm recently posted…HAD TO HAVE IT: 1920s Art Deco Light CoverMy Profile

6. November 22, 2013
    kristin

I’m in love with this! So creative and beautiful.
    kristin recently posted…Thankful BranchesMy Profile

7. November 23, 2013
    Angie@Echoes of Laughter

I love this project! So creative! Have a lovely week! Angie xo
    Angie@Echoes of Laughter recently posted…Gingerbread Cupcakes with Cream Cheese FrostingMy Profile

8. December 19, 2013
    Emily

so so cute!! I would love to make something like this for next Christmas… I’m pinning! Thanks for being part of my Crafty Christmas series… Emily
    Emily recently posted…Crafty Christmas Decorations {Crafts}My Profile

9. December 19, 2013

Oh Tara that is so beautiful, need to try me some string art!
    Mel recently posted…Snow Man Candy JarMy Profile