How To Make Gold-Dipped Ornaments

Gold Dipped Ornaments sq - Suburble.com

Yeah. I’m going there.

I’m going to start talking about Christmas.

And you won’t be able to shut me up about it. See… I get a bit giddy about Christmas. And there is just so. much. craft. potential.

Plus, Thanksgiving has already happened in Canada, so there are now twinkling lights of Christmas trees in most of the storefronts. It’s hard not to get caught up in all that twinkle.

Because I’m also a shameless spray-paint addict, I thought I’d share the first of many ornament tutorials – this one being a flashy gold one.

Gold Dipped Ornaments 1 - Suburble.com

These porcelain balls are available at most craft stores – I got mine at Michaels. They even came with gold accessories! How perfect!

Gold Dipped Ornaments 2 - Suburble.com

I removed the hangy-bit (what is that called?) and painted the top 3/4 section of each ball in acrylic paint.
Here’s where the craft fail happened. I grabbed some paints based on the colour and really didn’t consider what type of paint I was using. Two of these paints are multi-surface paint, which means that it adheres to glass. One of these paints is a traitor and gave up on trying to participate in my Christmas craft.

It was the red one. The paint slid right off of it, in horrible elastic-like peels.

So I swore. I stomped my feet. I debated whether I was going to paint it again.

Then I decided that I quite liked the white finish of the original porcelain.

After you have completed at least two even coats (because it’s going to go on splodgy and streaky the first time), you can use a matte sealer – like Mod Podge –  to ensure that the paint will stay put. Or, you can bake the acrylic paint – here’s a little how-to -  if you’d like to try that route.

Gold Dipped Ornaments 4 - Suburble.com

After the paint has dried and sealed, then you can use painter’s tape to create a straight line across the bottom 1/4 of the ball. Cover the painted part of the ball with tape, and be sure to press firmly along its edge. You don’t want the gold spray paint to seep under the tape – it’s not pretty.

Gold Dipped Ornaments 6 - Suburble.com

I used an egg-carton as my “ornament holder” – and it worked like a charm!

The ornaments got two even coats of Rustoleum Metallic Gold. The best. stuff. evarrrrr……

And once they had dried, I very carefully removed the tape and revealed these beauties:

Gold Dipped Ornaments - Suburble.com

So pretty! And so golden!

Gold Dipped Ornaments sq - Suburble.com

I love how the ornaments aren’t the traditional colours of Christmas (red, green, etc), but are still festive with the touches of gold.

And you know that I’ll be breaking out the gold this Christmas. It’s going to be like King Midas came to stay.

Or Queen Midas. With her spray-paint in her holster.

Talk to me about Christmas colours – are you a traditionalist?

Red and Green are the only way to go?

Or do you stray from convention – what colours do you choose?

Don’t forget to check out some of these other Christmas posts!

DIY Rustic Cedar Wreath - Suburble

Make your own Cedar Wreath

Joy String Art sq - Suburble

“Joy” String Art

Bubble Glass Vase 3 - Suburble.comGold Bubble Vase

Comments

1. says

So pretty, I really do love metallics for Christmas. BTW we don’t have Halloween or Thanksgiving here so Christmas has been in the stores since September…yeah the little ones think it’s never coming!!!
    Mel recently posted…DIY Iphone CostumeMy Profile

• Tara says

Since SEPTEMBER!?!?! Oh no.. Mel, are you already done your Xmas shopping? Four months of Christmas would cause me to go right over the top!

• Tara says

Oh, you do need to hop to it, girl! Amazon.com is basically the answer to all Xmas conundrums. And you’re going to have such a lovely holiday with your wee girl. What a lovely Christmas present! :)

• Tara says

Oh, they’re so simple, once you realize that you can’t just slap on any old paint that you have lying around.

Sigh.

Read the back of the label first. I should know that by now!

• Tara says

Oh, if you love gold, come hang out with me. I’m a shameless addict.

And I’m making so many more gold ornaments this year. I’ll probably be sick of it by Christmas.

(Well… probably not!)

• Tara says

I am half-traditional, half-whatever-strikes-my-fancy. So, you like the green, red, and white of Christmas? I just can’t help but love a bit of colour. I wonder exactly how far I’ll go this year, though. I’m loving gold far too much!

Thank you for the compliments. I love how these turned out, too!

2. says

Oooh pretty! I think I like the white and gold one the best! Christmas at my house has been down-sized and simplified for many years now. I mostly use silver, white and clear (glass or acrylic) in my decor. Probably because I am missing the Montana snow so much. We almost never get a white Christmas here.
    Danni@SiloHillFarm recently posted…ARTISAN BREAD…EASIEST EVER! (no lie)My Profile

• Tara says

Oh, we almost never have a white Christmas either. It’s usually green and soaking wet. (Do we have similar seasons?)

I love the very simplified and white decor that you describe. It almost sounds Scandinavian. I can’t wait to see pictures!

• Tara says

Oh, thank you, Krista! All long weekends seem to get craftabulous, don’t they? I am a sucker for gold – I think that this Christmas is going to be gilded at our house! ;)

• Tara says

Oh, thank you Virginia! I love it when things look a bit more expensive than they are! Let me know if you do this project – I’d love to hear how they turned out! :)

• Tara says

Six for a dollar?!??! Girl, you got a DEAL! If you try this out, please send me pictures or a link – I’d love to see them!

3. says

Love gold dipped anything and these turned out great. I have written 3 blog post with color schemes, themes and sources. If you go to my blog at Goodlifeofdesign.blogspot.com you can see, Christmas Birds, Woodland Animals and Jingle Bell themes.
    I am just like you once my mind starts looking towards Christmas there is NO turning back.
    Let the♫♪ Falalaing begin ♫♪

4. Whitney says

I can’t seem to find the porcelain ornaments anywhere in KS. Do you think the glass, shatterproof ornaments would work just as well?

• Tara says

I think that glass might work – plastic, not so much. Make sure that the paint you buy says “glass” right on it. I know that some of Martha’s paints will stay on.

Trackbacks