1. August 15, 2013
    Kirsten @ One Tough Mother

YUM! I love applesauce but I’ve never made it myself. Thanks for the recipe Tara! This would make a great gift during the holidays, too!
    Kirsten @ One Tough Mother recently posted…DIY Apple Back-to-School Cuff Bracelet – #MyFavoriteBloggersMy Profile

• August 15, 2013

You’re so right – it would make a great gift! I should borrow Amy’s labels and make some for any impromptu gift-giving occasions! 🙂

(p.s. you have to try to make your own applesauce – it’s SO easy!)

2. August 15, 2013
    Sarah @ Repeat Crafter me

Love this! Apple sauce makes a great substitute for oil in recipes so I like the idea of having some stocked up in my freezer!

• August 15, 2013

Sarah – you’re so right. It’s a great way to make your recipes guilt-free (or at least less-guilty!). It’s awesome to have some in the freezer – it’s always handy!

3. August 15, 2013

Tara, I can’t wait to make some applesauce! Thanks for this great post kicking me in the butt! 😀
    Marilyn recently posted…Cinnamon Caramel Apple Dip to Celebrate Back to School & Apple Project Round UpMy Profile

• August 15, 2013

Says the woman who makes homemade caramel? I don’t know, lady – if you got a kick in the butt, you’d probably end up with your own show on the Food Network! 😉

4. August 15, 2013
    ChiWei

Now I know what to do when we go apple-picking and come home with a bushel and then think that maybe 3 weeks straight of apple pie might just go to our gut…a little. Freezing is good, less sugar is even better! Squeezing a “u” in there is the funniest thing I’ve read all day. I lived in Montreal for a year, so I get it.
    ChiWei recently posted…Apple Paper Punch Thank You Cards and Greeting CardsMy Profile

• August 15, 2013

Oh, so you’ve got a teensy little bit of Canadian blood coursing through those veins? Then you understand why I stick errant “u”s in all of my words. I HAVE to do it. It makes me feel strange if I don’t.

Let me know if you do try your own applesauce. It’s such a great snack/dessert to have in the freezer!

5. August 15, 2013
    amy @ one artsy mama

Mmmm…homemade applesauce is the best. My grandma makes it and it’s 10 times better than storebought!!

• August 15, 2013

Does she stock your freezer with it? You need to slip into her kitchen when she’s cheffing up her applesauce and grab a few of those jars, lady!

6. August 15, 2013
    Kadie

Love, love homemade applesauce! I used to make it with my Mom every year. I haven’t tried making it on my own yet…
    Kadie recently posted…Back to School Ribbon Apple Barrettes and Apple Project Round UpMy Profile

• August 15, 2013

If I can do it, you can do it, Kadie! I learned how to make it from my mom. She’s the reason I snagged that chinois strainer in the first place!

7. August 15, 2013
    Sky

For real, girl, you’ve gotta have more hours in your day than I seem to! This looks amazing- it would surely be an all week ordeal for me! You are amazing!
    Sky recently posted…Apple Projects with #myfavoritebloggersMy Profile

• August 15, 2013

That’s so sweet of you, Sky! I don’t think I have any more hours… I’m just good at hiding all of the piles of mess that build up in the corners of the house. 😉 And this only took me a couple of hours – and I frequently abandoned my cooking apples while I did other things. That’s the beauty of cooking the living crap out of something… you can leave it for a long time!

8. August 15, 2013
    Kara

Yum! I love homemade applesauce!
    Kara recently posted…Apple Crochet CozyMy Profile

• August 15, 2013

Me too…. a lot! 🙂

9. August 15, 2013

How fun, apple season is long off for me 🙂
    Mel recently posted…The Bling RingMy Profile

• August 16, 2013

Yeah – I guess it would be! Tell me – do you pin things in opposite seasons? I imagine you’re heading into Spring now?

10. August 15, 2013
    Bethany

You continue with the delicious freezer goodies! Love it!
    Bethany recently posted…{My Favorite Bloggers: Apple Chalkboard Frame}My Profile

• August 16, 2013

I love these super-easy freezer preserves! (I do hot-bath canning as well, but freezer canning is SO much easier)

11. August 15, 2013
    Melanie

Yummy!
    Melanie recently posted…I {Heart} Apple Felt Hair Clips (a no-sew project)My Profile

• August 16, 2013

Thanks, Melanie! 🙂

12. August 15, 2013
    Amy of while wearing heels

What a fun round up of apple themed crafts and recipes. Your applesauce looks delicious. I am impressed with all your canning and jarring skills.
    Amy of while wearing heels recently posted…Happy BirthdayMy Profile

• August 16, 2013

Oh, thank you, Amy! I’m just getting starting in the food-preserving side of life. I had these grand ideas of canning my abundant harvest from my garden.

But my garden has been asserting his personality as of late. He’s in his angsty “I don’t want to” teen years, and I’m afraid for my tomatoes. I might have to buy them this year. Sob.

My whining aside, I love to can! It’s pretty satisfying!

13. August 16, 2013

Love making homemade applesauce as it brings back such great memories of picking apples with my kids. Great round up of projects and bloggers! How fun!
    Danni@SiloHillFarm recently posted…HOW ABOUT SOME FUN FOR A FRIDAY MORNING?My Profile

• August 16, 2013

We have a small apple tree in our yard, but the trouble is that I never water it. (Whoops!) The apples don’t ever get very big. So we buy them.

Terrible, I know!

I’d love to apple-pick, though. I should make that a goal for the next year. 🙂

14. August 16, 2013
    Bethany

What a fun series! Your apple sauce looks delicious!
    Bethany recently posted…Bitty Bow Baby Sandals PatternMy Profile

• August 16, 2013

Thank you, Bethany!

15. August 16, 2013
    Lauren @ The Thinking Closet

Scrumdiddleeumptious! This sounds amazing. And I’m ashamed to say I’ve never heard of No. 2 produce before…good to know! Oh, and the part of this post that made me chuckle: “Little House in the Suburbs.” Ha ha. You get me every time, Mrs. Suburble. Thanks for the apple-licious inspiration, woman!
    Lauren @ The Thinking Closet recently posted…The Friday Five: Knitting Without NeedlesMy Profile

• August 18, 2013

I think that it a lot of grocery stores, no.2 produce just ends up being chucked in the bin. I wouldn’t be surprised if you could get it for free! (There is a LOT of waste in produce sections of grocery stores)

I love thinking of myself as a pioneer woman, making her family preserves. (Even though I’m doing it with an electric stove, store-bought jars and often with music blaring in the background)…

16. August 18, 2013
    Emmy

Thank you for the great recipe! I found you through Sarah’s blog (Repeat Crafter Me). My family loved helping me make and eat the applesauce!! It’s all gone now 😉

• August 18, 2013

I’m so glad that you liked it! My girls love to help me make applesauce – it’s such a fun family tradition!

17. August 18, 2013
    Krista @ the happy housie

Love the apple theme – reminds me so much of back-to-school though and I am not quite ready to go there mentally:) Your applesauce looks delish! Glad you clarified about the U in favourite. I was definitely feeling uncomfortable:)
    Krista @ the happy housie recently posted…Get Organized with a DIY Fabric Covered Bulletin BoardMy Profile

• August 22, 2013

I’ll bet you were feeling uncomfortable – I sure was!

Apples remind me of back to school, too! I don’t know if I’m ready either, and I’m not even going back this September! You’re going back, right? Full day?

• August 23, 2013
        Krista @ the happy housie

Full day three days a week, off at 11:30 the other two days- works out well with my youngest in preschool – our parents take him the afternoons I work. And my oldest is at the same school as me, going into grade one. How that happened (grade one) is beyond me. Life moves too fast!
        Krista @ the happy housie recently posted…Back to School Mantel and a DIY Dictionary Page BuntingMy Profile

18. August 18, 2013
    Callista

YUM! I’ll have to make a batch when we get back from camping 🙂
    Callista recently posted…Camping Adventures: AddictsMy Profile

• August 22, 2013

Let me know if you do, Cal! It’s really so easy… I should make it throughout the year!

19. August 21, 2013
    Lindsay Faber

Mmmmm so good. I will be making this ASAP.
    Lindsay Faber recently posted…Sweet sweet baby boy {Vancouver BC Newborn photographer}My Profile

• August 22, 2013

Let me know if you do! (Or you can just steal a few jars from my freezer!)

20. January 7, 2014
    jennie

We have limited freezer space, so can this recipe be placed in freezer bags ( in the freezer) or “Hot-bathed” canned and placed on a shelf. And if yes is the storage time the same. I’m a mother of four and work full-time, but always looking for healthy options and long term food storage ideas. Thanks.

• January 7, 2014

Oh yes, this can definitely be put in freezer bags (but I would let the applesauce cool before placing it into Ziploc bags), or it can be hot-bathed as well. Are you a canner?

And I love that despite how busy life is, you’re trying to get good whole food on your kiddos’ plate. It’s such a great way of approaching food!

21. May 11, 2014
    Kelli

Hi! I am going to try the applesauce this week! How big are the jars you used? Best way to defrost? How long will they last in the fridge? New to this and want to make sure I do it right!

• May 11, 2014

Hi Kelli!

I used 500 ml (or pint) sized mason jars, and I found that was a good amount to defrost at one time. I sometimes take the jars out and leave them in the fridge to thaw overnight, or if I’m in a hurry, I will take the lids off of the jars and then pop them into the microwave for about 3-4 minutes until the sauce is able to be stirred.

Applesauce doesn’t last more than a few days in our house, because it gets gobbled up by the kids pretty quickly. I don’t know that I’d leave it much more than a week, but if you ask anyone who knows me, you’d know that I’m a bit of a worrywart when it comes to all-things-Foodsafe!

Let me know how your applesauce adventure goes! I’m sure you’ll love it!

• May 12, 2014
        Kelli

I was discussing my upcoming apple sauce adventure and someone asked how I will keep the jars from busting in the freezer??? I had no idea since I am new to this, so thought I better ask you! Is this an issue? Does jar type matter? Any special prep for the jars?

• May 12, 2014

Hi Kelli,

You let the jars cool to room temp on the counter before you pop them in the freezer. Then, you’re golden! It’s the same for freezer jam and various other “freezer canning” recipes. Once the jars have cooled, then they are safe to be transferred into the freezer.

Can’t wait to hear how your batch turns out!